Hello I’m new and looking for a bit of advice

Saltwater60

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son who is 13 got into coins and was begging for a metal detector. So I searched around and wanted to get him a descent one. He takes good care of things and figured I’d use it too. I got him the Garrett Ace 300 and should be here soon.
We are going to the 1000 islands camping next week and I’d like to bring it. He wants to find coins, silver coins specifically. I’m sure we all do. So just looking for some general guidance. Lots of little beaches and coves there so I figure we will hunt those.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Saltwater60! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - Since the "Thousand Islands" are a group of more than 1,800 islands in the St. Lawrence River, straddling the border of the U.S. and Canada you might consider browsing Forum: New York and Forum: Canada for information, etc.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! You are in for some fun. First - READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!! Understand the Basic functions and sounds of the machine. Gloves, and a "Finds" bag for good finds and garbage metal. You need a good hand digger, and kneepads would be a smart idea. :occasion14:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :skullflag: Be patient, you are going to dig more trash than treasure but don't get discouraged:BangHead:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate! :occasion14:

I had an Ace years back and it did not do well on wet, sandy, saltwater beaches. My AT Pro isn't all that great either, despite being "All Terrain." That said, I had better luck in dry sand. Not certain what type of environment you are specifically hunting in, but do expect some erratic results if you are in wet saltwater & sand. If you plan on hunting that sort of beach a lot, you may want to invest in a machine better suited. But for learning the ropes in most any other land setting, the Ace is a terrific starter machine and will find excellent targets. So best of luck, welcome to the party, and happy hunting mate!

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA! A good friend of mine has an ACE 300 and he absolutely LOVES it! Since it doesn't have a ground balance feature, you probably will struggle on wet sand. But that doesn't mean he can't do dry! Have fun and happy hunting!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. When you get your detector, sit down with the detector and read the manual while identifying the knobs, switches and functions. Do that several times. Then when you take the detector out with you take the manual along, reading it and checking the responses of the detector. Then Practice, Practice, Practice with your detector, re-reading the manual before and after you use the detector. That is how you learn what they are trying to tell you.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be the bearer of bad news... but if your referring to Florida's 10,000 islands... then you would be in a National Park.

Metal detecting is not allowed in National Parks.

All of the Everglades is off limits to detecting.

I know you stated 1,000... but not sure what you meant if that was literal.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be the bearer of bad news... but if your referring to Florida's 10,000 islands... then you would be in a National Park.

Metal detecting is not allowed in National Parks.

All of the Everglades is off limits to detecting.

I know you stated 1,000... but not sure what you meant if that was literal.

Solid advice here - the Feds will confiscate your gear, vehicle, and a considerable amount of your near-term time and money if you are caught on federal land, including all National Parks. Great call-out AARC. :icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum I wish I would’ve got into this hobby at your son’s age and a great father who would’ve bought me a Garrett would’ve been nice to. Make sure it’s not federal land they like to pull up real quick in the trucks and lock on the brakes and give you the riot act. Look real scared and he might give you a break. Best just not to go because I hate acting like I’m scared.

OP
OP
S

Saltwater60

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in western NYS so there is no saltwater here despite my name. We will be doing fresh water beaches.

OP
OP
S

Saltwater60

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I guess I just figured people knew the 1,000 islands. So it’s in northern NYS and it is a state park. I know there is a permit or something you’re supposed to get. I’ll do my best to get it or hunt in some off the best paths. I’ll be careful and do the best I can to comply with NYS rules but they want you to hand in anything worth over $10 or $20 in some areas to the state police and pay a $40.00 permit. In my opinion they can’t have it both ways. I get relics or whatever but if I find a silver ring or necklace I’m pretty sure we will keep it. NYS steals enough from me.

OP
OP
S

Saltwater60

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also no chance of getting into Canada. The boarder is still on tight lockdown due to the corona virus and only essential travel is allowed.

OP
OP
S

Saltwater60

Jun 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most hellos I’ve ever received from an introduction post. Thanks guys. Seems like a nice group and hope we find some treasures relatively speaking. Not looking to get rich. Just hoping for some silver coins here and there and some cool stuff. I like old stuff. I have a 1901 Victorian and we love it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most hellos I’ve ever received from an introduction post. Thanks guys. Seems like a nice group and hope we find some treasures relatively speaking. Not looking to get rich. Just hoping for some silver coins here and there and some cool stuff. I like old stuff. I have a 1901 Victorian and we love it.

Well then let me add one "hello"... Hello.

And ...

Welcome to TreasureNet.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What Terry said and maybe a pin pointer for easier target location and recovery! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread