Hello! New Member (with 8 yr old son) would love help identifying a couple of items

Fish On

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

Older metal detector here with an 8 year old son who has decided to pick up the hobby and also renew my excitement. I started metal detecting in the early 1990's and now my son is saving for his first detector. He and I go hunting together on weekends. Until I started hunting with my son my oldest coin was an 1857 Flying eagle Penny. We bested that by more than 50 years recently when we found an 1805 King George III Hibernia Penny that has turbo-charged his interest in all things historical. He decided to start going through all my old finds, some that I can identify and some that I can't/never did. I'm attaching photo's of two here that he and I would both love to know more about. Button back.jpg Button Front.jpg Unidentified 1.jpg Unidentified 2.jpg Unidentified 3.jpg

The first is a button. I believe it may be a US Navy button. It has "Warranted Rich Orange" written on the shank side which is in VERY good shape but not as visible in the picture. The shank has the soldered appearance and the button is 15mm in diameter. The face of the button is concave and is corroded. I'm guessing because of the way it was situated in the ground. I can identify only a couple of small stars on the very outer edge. It was found at a house built in 1802 in Acton, MA.

The second is an interesting object that I have almost no idea what it is. It is very heavy and seems to be made of a metal that did very good under the ground for many years. It was found in a field in Tewksbury, MA. As I researched this object my best guess is that it might have been one end of a gun powder horn. Can anyone identify it for certain or even have an educated guess?

Anything you might be able to tell us about these items and when they were made would be MOST appreciated! Happy to answer any specific questions about either. Understanding more about these items would really help my son to continue to build his interest in this hobby.

Looking forward to joining the discussions and sharing past and future finds!

Thank you very much!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard to both of ya! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - Post your new finds on TODAY'S FINDS! so everyone can share your newly found treasures and t
hose finds that you need help identifying should be posted on WHAT IS IT? for more exposure...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net!

Maybe an antique curtain pull...

curtain pull.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fish On

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the sub area info. We are in New York but also hunt New hampshire.

Also, thank you SD51. Yes, maybe an antique curtain pull. Good place to continue looking.

Still hoping to identify the button.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I THINK.. repeat... I think... you might have a "pommel" there.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Welcome to tnet. My guess on your second item is a final on a bed post of an old iron bed. Good luck.

OP
OP
F

Fish On

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thank you so much. My son is loving looking at pictures of these suggestions especially the pommels! Still not certain of what it is but all three of these suggestions seem like good possibilities. Thanks again!

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Texas :wave:

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

OP
OP
F

Fish On

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the warm welcomes!!!!