New Guy Rockland County NY 35 miles N of NYC

nextgen

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Got it in to detecting 45 years ago with a Compass 71b. Don't wow 45 years, ha, between then and now I detected for one year and then just a few times.

The compass worked but was work to find anything.

Well I am Industrial designer, background in Electrical, Mechanical engineering for the Elevator Industry for 50 years. Mostly NYC but many elevators world wide. Empire State, Chrysler, WTC the twin towers etc.

Well known for for my book - THE TYPE IV UPRIGHT CONVERSION MANUAL. How to convert a Type IV Porsche engine in the Classic VW Bug.

2035894.jpg

1955894.jpg

1959190.jpg

Won $1000 at the 2nd largest Halloween Parade in the U.S. 25k people. Elevator door motors.

Now with many building in NYC empty, if you have 40 elevators ( WTC had 148 ) not a big deal if a 5 elevator are down, their a 35 more. So I have been home for 6 months. Been going nuts at home.

Now is the time to get back detecting. Bought a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 and as inexpensive it is working great.. Just bought the 4" coil and that really got the coins. Sure I know some of you guys got very expensive machines, lets see how it goes this time around, ha.

Live 35 miles north of NYC on the Hudson River. Any one from my area??

Joe Cali

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet Joe! I’m a big fan of VW. I had my share back in the day. Don’t have one now though.
Good luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains Brother!:headbang:

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA!

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . :hello:

OP
OP
N

nextgen

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, got to figure how to navigate this NG. Posted and it did not appear. SO doing the Quick Reply.

Guy thanks.

Terry, White Plains, wave I am across the Hudson. Near Rockland Lake, alot of history I cannot touch. It was the lake the supplied ICE to NYC, went over Hook Mountain to the barges waiting to take it to the city before the Fridge. I live on a lake and I am in charge of our lake and work with the NYS Dept of Parks because we have to watch for invasive species of plants etc. Friends with the Manager and my luck it is the only lake you cannot detect, due to a Gov. plan to do historical work.

Have found 1700 items on an area north of Hook mountain, were Benedict Arnold overlooked the Hudson. A button and a Shoe Buckle.

A mentioned I use a Tracker 4 and now changed the coil to the 4" with great results for coin hunting. Love that little coil.

Also did the hack on the Cheap GP pinpointer using a hose clamp, it turned a $30 piece in to a real pinpointer using hose clamp.

Also applying for a Permit at Lake Welch were 36 homes and 100 people were evicted to make the lake. $20 for a year.

Oh as to the beetle, everyone either had one, or rode in one. People just love them, I get the "oh my God I remember the smell ". Oh yea burning oil or leaking gas. Ha Mine is a bit hard to handle. The car it came out of did 130 mph and weighted 500 lbs more, the front lifts over 90 and steering becomes very light. 80 is fine for me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

Very Cool VW! Many years ago I had a VW bug Semi-Automatic, shifting but no clutch. :headbang:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there!! We must be fairly close, I live in Valley Cottage (Christian Herald Rd), grew up here in the 1950s-1960s. Retired Porsche master mechanic who has put a bunch of 356 engines in VWs, was WV mechanic back in the 60s before I went to Porsche. Harriman permit is for beaches only, you cannot go into the woods with a detector, and those beaches have been detected for years. Good luck if you do go to hunt the beaches. There are several old communities long abandoned in Harriman but they are all off limits just like most of the old village of Rockland Lake. You used to be able to go to the top of the ranger tower across from lake Welch and you could see the streets and buildings under the water in the lake. Several old friends grew up in that village (Johnstown), some still live down the road in Stony Point. What lake are you by, Swarthout? I have some friends in the condos on the south end off Lake Rd Congers. We used to swim in Rockland lake before the state took it over, there was a little beach area with a food stand and picnic benches, would love to hunt that section but it too is verboten. This area was on the southwest corner of the lake, gotta be plenty of silver coins there. Oh yeah, one more thing, the VW Type IV engine is not a Porsche engine. They were put in the cheaper American Porsche 914s but in Europe those cars were marketed as VW Type IV Karmann Ghias. Real Porsche 914s have 911T engines, different brakes, etc. I owned a couple of the VW powered 914s, great little sports cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nextgen

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Oh Good, Gunsil You hit it on the head, you just made a lot of connection go off in my brain. First -- I live in the Condos south side across from the bike shop and Ricks American. I live on the boat launch and am the representative of our condos, Bridgewaters, in charge of Swarthout lake. I would with Lake Association and Congers Lake and Chris the manager of Rockland lake. There are 30 condos, I live in one of "The 4 ". The lake is 50 feet from my deck.
26 Trevor Lake Drive.

OK here goes the brain, did you ever work for Spring Valley VW that was on Route 45 or Orangeburg VW East Cost Headquarters???? I won Best Custom car in Orangeburg East Cost in 1992 and again in Germonds, same car 2019.

Did you know a guy by the name of Roland Metz, his dad was head of VW America, I think.

Now the crazy one -- did you live in Nyack off Route 9w. THe reason I am asking is when VW Spring Valley closed a machanic that worked there said he had parts and I should visit his home. He lived in Trailer.

When I entered, I saw rows of Metal Detecors and jars loaded with coins an a safe with some real rare coins from other states he visited.
He got me into metal detecting -- This was back around 1969 and 1970.

Bought a Compass stopped detecting after a year , till now.

Next Yes you are right the 4 cylinder 914 Type IV was a VW engine, But I must say it was the strongest, pushing two ton buses and 912E, 411 and 412.

The 914 6 was a monster Porsche eater, one year won every race 12 - except one. The ad said on can't win them all. Amazing engine for a bug.

OK how did I do the history did i ring any bells.

Got to show you the bug..

1953464.jpg

1961750.jpg

1967276.jpg

1959741.jpg

Joe cali

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI......Tommy

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also sent a FR Nice car,too

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan! 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! :hello:
Started out with a Tracker IV and found lots of great stuff with it, including my first silver, an 1893 Barber Quarter. :thumbsup:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI.......Tommy

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread