eeWill

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2020
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 2900/D Trooper - and looking to upgrade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just getting into the hobby and still researching detectors! I currently have an old Whites Coinmaster 2900/D Trooper, but I think it's time for an upgrade.

Would love to get advice from anyone willing to give as far as site research and detector recommendations. I'm currently leaning towards either a Garrett AT PRO, or maybe the MAX depending on budget constraints.

Anyway, hello everyone!

William

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from Connecticut!
My personal opinion is to go for the AT Pro. This machine has been tried and tested. The only downside is that it HATES salt water (if that’s even a concern for you). Good luck!
HH
dts

OP
OP
E

eeWill

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2020
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Good to know about the AT Pro. I'll have to keep that in mind. Do you know if the AT Max has the same aversion to saltwater? I know from research that a multi-frequency detector is really the way to go, but they are all looking out of my budget range at the moment. Most of my detecting will be done on land, but I do make a beach trip once a year and stay for a week. It would be nice to hunt the beach while I'm there.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet Will. Maybe research the Minelab Equinox 600 for a better beach detector. Good luck On the hunt and the purchase of a new detector.

OP
OP
E

eeWill

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2020
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RustyGold, Will do! Does the 600 perform well on land too?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
RustyGold, Will do! Does the 600 perform well on land too?

You bet it does. It’s truly an all terrain detector. If you want the gold mode like for nugget hunting then you may need to look at the Equinox 800.

OP
OP
E

eeWill

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2020
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not planning on any nugget hunting. Relics, coins, and jewelry mostly. Probably have save a few more pennies to jump above the AT Pro, but may be worth it.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA! Whatever MD you decide on, have fun and happy hunting!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard William! Take a look at Forum: Mississippi for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
E

eeWill

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2020
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I'm leaning more toward the Minelab Equinox 600 at this point. I can't wait to get out there. It looks like I have some research ahead of me too! Not being originally from this area, I'm not aware of it's older history. Should be fun.

Found the Mississippi Forum but it looks really slow over there!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Not planning on any nugget hunting. Relics, coins, and jewelry mostly. Probably have save a few more pennies to jump above the AT Pro, but may be worth it.

Watch this website for used detectors. They’re usually much more affordable than a new machine.
dts

OP
OP
E

eeWill

Tenderfoot
Oct 5, 2020
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will definitely watch this site for used equipment. I'm always a little leery of buying used equipment online. Probably because ebay burned me one too many times. Still, I saw a past post by someone I would have jumped on. Never know. Thank you for the help and suggestions!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! :hello:

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome William from Texas :wave:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Don’t mention it. If anyone has been burned by a seller on this website, I haven’t heard about it. eBay is another story. I quit them years ago.
HH
dts

Sep 14, 2017
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I'm leaning more toward the Minelab Equinox 600 at this point. I can't wait to get out there. It looks like I have some research ahead of me too! Not being originally from this area, I'm not aware of it's older history. Should be fun.

Found the Mississippi Forum but it looks really slow over there!

Hey there. If you’re looking for an Equinox 600, I recently purchased one for $650 and it just got here. Long story short, I bought the 600 first but while I was waiting for it to arrive saw a better deal on an 800 and couldn’t pass it up. I live in Picayune, MS. It is barely used and comes with the wired headphones, Andy Sabisch’s book on the Equinox, and I’m also throwing in a coil ear stiffener that I have a spare of. Asking $625 for it.

Now that I put my sales pitch out there, there are some cons to the Equinox. It is very coil heavy and not very balanced which means that after a while your arm, shoulder, and wrist will be sore. The control handle is also not the most ergonomic design that I’ve used on a detector. It really hurts my hand. I do have small hands so that may be a factor.

I also own the AT Pro. I have used it in the beach water. It can be chattery but with the right settings, it’s not as bad.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI.......Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread