Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2020
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Treasurenet gurus! I am new to the site, and to metal detecting as well. I am from Waynesboro, Pennsylvania which is rich in civil war history, not very far from Gettysburg and adjacent to the area where the Battle of Monterey Pass occurred. I have an interest in local history, civil war history, and now metal detecting. I cannot seem to find a local metal detecting club near me, but I may not be looking hard enough. It seems as though some of the clubs have disbanded. This was a hobby that I was hoping of finding some mentors to educate me, but do not know where to start or look. Any suggestions from you seasoned veterans on how to begin and get started would be vastly appreciated. Thank you!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On here there are state forums, find your state then pm some of the detector guys and gals to ask them where to go to.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet, Fortune Seeker! :hello:
Nick

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard, Fortune Seeker. Happy 2021

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from northeastern Oregon! There is a lot of information and there are very knowledgeable people on this site to help you learn your way in the hobby! Good Luck!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet Fortune Seeker! You’ve found the right place. Good luck on the adventure.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to the great state of PA.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another welcome to T Net from Michigan! Get permissions from friends and neighbors and you will be rewarded with some great finds!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[FONT=&quot]Welcome to T-Net[/FONT][FONT=&quot] from Southeast Louisiana!!! "D"[/FONT]

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet! You live in a great place for metal detecting. I have only visited Waynesboro for track and cross-country meets when my son was a runner in college.

Re: clubs: I wonder if internet resources - such as this one, have impacted local clubs (before the pandemic) or if they have succumbed to increased demand for public meeting rooms. When we had an active club at a library, it seemed like every monthly meeting, a person would stumble in looking for the AA meeting - which was another day. But the room was booked by groups every day/night. The club was a great way to see each other's finds - and it was competitive with votes for best find of the month, and year. We even had a monthly newsletter. But that club and others I knew were active pre-internet.

Get permissions for local farm fields and ask about when you can hunt. You'll need permission from both the property owner and farmer - if the land is leased for farming. Good luck and hope to see your finds posted here.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome!!! And I'm not shy, let me know if you need some help with those CW sites!!

I'm not right around the corner from you but I'd def take that drive, especially closer to spring when we'd have more daylight hours. I've been dying to get on some CW areas, and there wasn't much activity here in my area of PA (I'm on the border of Northampton and Monroe counties).

Please make sure you're not hunting places where you shouldn't be too.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

OP
OP
Fortune Seeker

Fortune Seeker

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2020
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the great advice! I've gotten in touch with a club, seems the virus has shut many things down for now.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been to Gettysburg numerous times, lovely and historical area.
You really don't need a mentor or group, just a machine and learn how to use it. Obviously, official battleground sites are off limits completely, as is any private property unless you gain a permission.

Probably safe to assume that most public land free to detect in the area has been pounded to death by 100's before, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. Simply using google earth view maps can help you locate areas to detect ,,, And of course, when we are talking major, historic battles, though the main battle site itself may be off limits, routes of march, encampments ect may well be fair game, so some research could pay off as well.
Worth noting that most people into metal detecting notch out iron, as most iron targets in most locations are sure to be junk, but when relic hunting the opposite is true and you want to detect all metal. Sometimes maybe not, but many if not most modern detectors default to modes where iron is notched out, so you can adjust settings or switch modes [most have an all metal mode] and some have a button you can press to include or exclude it at will.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread