GamerNav

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I started metal detecting about 2 months ago and I've been pulling things out of the ground ever since. My friends seem to be finding coins and I mostly end up finding large iron things that are quite interesting, even if I don't always know what they are. Sometimes its the strange shapes and sometimes they're covered in mud that's almost impossible to remove. What I do identify has taken me down all sorts of interesting paths of investigation and learning to put together a story behind what it is and why it was there.

I have a lot more patience than most when it comes to the larger things in the ground, but even my patience has limits when I am unable to fully excavate something beyond what appears to be the tip of the iceberg. We've even come up with a quick way of referring to them - Dumb Huge Impossible Things (DHIT). Sometimes our metal detectors identify something with such a strong signature that we can dig more than a foot down and still not find it. Those are the huge impossible things.

Also, my actual name is Brian.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Brian !
I have dug many holes only to find an iron halo left by something long gone. You will find this place full of great and helpful people. Explore the site and enjoy. We are the largest site in the world and members from all over the globe.
Have fun and Happy Hunting! (HH)
TnMtns

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha We have all chased a few DHIT's. My favorite one was a huge long saw blade at about two feet deep in the ground. After about 10min I gave up on it - I've been back to that site a few times with other machines and never found it again? Buried Tire Rims by creeks are also fun

At old home sites if your not digging iron your leaving some goodies behind - some of my favorite relics came from digging an iron signal. Old School plaque (1894), suspender clips, axe heads and plow implements are also quite common.

HH eman

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have all chased a few DHIT's. My favorite one was a huge long saw blade at about two feet deep in the ground.

This happened to me about two months ago. I was in the woods behind my house, and found a rather old 5' long two man bucking saw. It wasn't very deep, but it was encased in difficult roots. I eventually got it out of that mess, but my back paid the price for a few days after.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.
Those big ole iron signals can turn out to be some really neat things. Check out the latest banner find up top.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Maryland for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. :hello:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! :hello:
Nick

OP
OP
G

GamerNav

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just yesterday I had some success returning to a site. I found an iron wheel which I thought might be a plow gauge wheel but it wasn't coming out. I returned with my larger shovel. The only thing that made me nervous was the local homeowners association. This was near a barn at the front of my community. No issues though. When I came back the 2nd time I was in and out in 10 minutes anyway, 9 lb gauge wheel in hand. I call it my metal pinwheel.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome!! Maryland is loaded with history so keep us posted. The coins are there, and once you dig one you'll be hooked. Old iron can be fun, but keep at it the better stuff will pop out.

OP
OP
G

GamerNav

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This happened to me about two months ago. I was in the woods behind my house, and found a rather old 5' long two man bucking saw. It wasn't very deep, but it was encased in difficult roots. I eventually got it out of that mess, but my back paid the price for a few days after.

That sounds exactly like the very first signal I dug with my detector in a nearby forest. Turned out to be a 4 foot electric fence post, angle iron. It was 6" down and the roots were insane. I was determined though, to have my first signal. I had to get a head lamp and kept digging into the darkness, even heard foxes barking not too far away.

OP
OP
G

GamerNav

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome!! Maryland is loaded with history so keep us posted. The coins are there, and once you dig one you'll be hooked. Old iron can be fun, but keep at it the better stuff will pop out.

Thanks. I have some things I can post already, for sure. I'll get on that.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Brian,
Welcome from sunny Arizona:hello:
I am a firm believer in digging every signal, you will find treasure that the others have passed up.

Just remember to re-check the hole with your detector after pulling out any trash target or any other target for that matter.
A tin can or some other junk could be masking a coin or ring or some other valuable object laying under or next to it.

Get used to digging trash it will definitely pay off in the long run.

Happy Hunting,
GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions