Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wick's Gulch

It is within an area I've been researching topo maps for my vacation to New Mexico in August. Thanks, just did some Internet searching and it now is at the top of my list for best places to check out. Paved road goes across the gulch, easy access...the old Wick's mine shaft claim wasn't for gold, but copper and it was sold to another company later. Enough said...go for it! :thumbsup:

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Wicks was a gold mine. Mining claims do exist, The main mine is patented property. I have not heard of folks getting upset for using MD in the area, yet laws apply.

chadrack

Sep 20, 2008

Hello gents. That entire area is heavily claimed. Please stay off of private claims. There is, however, an excellent club out of El Paso with claims nearby. Contact Joe Santos for info. Also the good fellow(Ted) at the Packwasher store can be of help. There are other clubs with claims in that area, also. Your research should include the county office in T or C. It really is the best way. Please stay off of private claims. Thank you. C

OP
OP
S

Shtrider728

Jan 23, 2009

Thankyou for the input.You dont have to say please,as I dont want to step on anybodies toes.....

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wicks Gulch is nothing like the stories you read. There is no water.

Be ready for high desert terrain. If you go in August I guarantee it will be hot. Take your survival gear with you, and be prepared to spend the night even if you don't go far from your car. Watch for snakes, and carry elastic bandages with you for a sprained ankle. If you get hurt there will be no one to help you, so go with a buddy.

Plan on using your GPS to find the location where the road crosses the gulch or you will be going up and down the road wondering which gulch is the correct one.

Enjoy, but be safe!

Ecominer

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ecominer said:
Wicks Gulch is nothing like the stories you read. There is no water.

Be ready for high desert terrain. If you go in August I guarantee it will be hot. Take your survival gear with you, and be prepared to spend the night even if you don't go far from your car. Watch for snakes, and carry elastic bandages with you for a sprained ankle. If you get hurt there will be no one to help you, so go with a buddy.

Plan on using your GPS to find the location where the road crosses the gulch or you will be going up and down the road wondering which gulch is the correct one.

Enjoy, but be safe!

Ecominer

Thanks Ecominer! I bought me a GPS. i'm thinking about joining GPAA again...and going a little later, like middle of September. Last vacation was to Arizona, drove through New Mexico on the way, it was for the entire month of November. Deer hunters were out all oer the place. Didn't have a GPAA membership back then and claim markers were everywhere.

I though if I wait a month...go to Arizona also. Before my last trip to Arizona, went to New Mexico during the last two weeks in June. When I left, it was getting kind of hot. It was after buying my first detector and just a Greenhorn.

I think one place I stopped was close to Wick's gulch, to the SW before a curved section of roads and before the NF. There were vehicles leaving the NF coming down the road. I checked out a wash running toward NE/N which had to the SE a flowing wall of dark chocolate brown color one side of the gulch. I came to a thick gravel deposit and open area of land was to the N. Beyond this a type of rock thought must be copper ore. Anyway, put down my shovel and brought up some sugar Quartz, crumbling away, you could see where gold has fallen out...little holes. It was as clean and white as sugar, I found some just like that SE of Los Cerrillos also....except at Los Cerrillos area, the pieces were part gold flecked with much fallen out of the Quartz already.

I think the place was near Wick's gulch, it has been so long...it was close to the NE corner of one of the NF. or NE smaller corner of the E side of a NF. I do remember it was somewhere between Soccerro and Las Cruces, W of the Interstate. :coffee2:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A ghost town called "Gold Dust" was located in Wick's Gulch, 3-4 miles E of Hillsboro. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Wick\'s_Gulch_1.jpg
    Wick\'s_Gulch_1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 584

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heather575 said:
Does anyone know the coordinates of where Wicks Gulch crosses the road?

Here are some more maps with coordinate grids.

Attachments

• Wick\'s_Gulch_2.jpg
    Wick\'s_Gulch_2.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 483
  • Wick\'s_Gulch_2b.jpg
    Wick\'s_Gulch_2b.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 498
  • Wick\'s_Gulch_3.jpg
    Wick\'s_Gulch_3.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 502
  • Wick\'s_Gulch_4.jpg
    Wick\'s_Gulch_4.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 489
Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are all wrong about your information concerning Wick's Gulch! This is a very well documented treasure site. Where have you been? ...
Wick's Gulch is a treasure site where a pot of gold nuggets was buried a long time ago. It is PRIVATE PROPERTY...but it is just right of the road...in fact you would'nt believe how close!
I wish some of you new treasure hunters would do some research before you post. This is a well documented treasure site!
Bruce

Attachments

• goldcoins321123.jpg
    goldcoins321123.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 996

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006

i had info that wicks gulch was open to prospecting, maybe my info is not correct,was hopeing to doing some test panning, sure do not want to trespass

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread