Passing Through Santa Fe, Need Some Local Info

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I'm passing through Santa Fe, traveling south down hwy 285 from Alamosa, Colorado. Wondering if there are any prospecting opportunities north of Santa Fe along my route. Backpacking and hitching to Arizona for the winter, so I'd like to stay reasonably close to 285.. say within 10 miles or so. I'm also tent camping, so there would have to be a national park, campground or public land on which to stay. I have a backpack sluice, so a stream or creek would be nice too. If you know anyone who owns land somewhere along the I-40 headed west to Flagstaff, Arizona who wouldn't mind me pitching a tent on their property for a couple of days just to take a rest.. that would be excellent. I am 55 W/M retired fireman touring the South West and West Coast on a gold prospecting adventure. Experienced outdoorsman who has a great respect for the land. I have a camp stove for cooking and lanterns for light, so I won't be setting the countryside on fire like those idiots in the Apache Sit Graves National Forest last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread