Anyone interested in exploring the Ladrones Mountains?

1stTimeProspector

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2011
Belen, NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my recent trip 1/26/12 to the Ladrones mountains I have come across 3 mines or should I rather say mine shafts! One is approx. 25ft deep straight down with a bottom and a wooden ladder. 2nd one is approx. 40ft deep straight down appears that the mine continues underground. 3rd one is approx. 40ft deep angled at about 75 degrees down. Appears that their are two tunnels going opposite directions underground. Looking to go and explore them next week sometime if anyone's interested as to seeing what's down there. Temperature is good about 55 degrees nice and warm no snow on the ground and most important that the damn rattle snakes are hiding!! Pictures aren't too good though I'll take better ones and re post them on here

Attachments

• mine1.jpg
    mine1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,090
  • mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,185
  • mine1.jpg
    mine1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 670
  • mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 859

footxless

Jun 11, 2012
belen
Detector(s) used
garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me know when you wana go check them out im located in belen and i would love to meet you out there

dallanta

Greenie
Sep 15, 2012
East Texas
Detector(s) used
An old Whites 500D and a newer Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I am new to the area, but have been studying the Ladron Mountain. Living for a while at the Kiva RV park. It would be nice to have company there.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Ladrones means thieves mountain. I've read where thieves would rob along the trail from Albuquerque to Socorro. I would think a bad guy might want ti lighten his load after a robbery to make his escape and return later. I can imagine finding buried loot from the trail to the mountain. I had heard a couple guys from Texas had found some a few years ago. It's definetly remote.

MiningGirl

Jan 8, 2014
Kansas
Detector(s) used
several
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did people find some good amethyst there also? I went to NM Tech years ago and used to collect minerals from further south.

Did the government take all of the Ladrones, the west side also, into a new wilderness?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't heard of any of the Ladrones status being changed. My maps still show as being BLM with a sprinkling of state lands. Some of the Sierra Ladoones are in he La Joya refuge area but not the large share of the mountains.
I think I remember hearing of a small wilderness to the North but I'd have to do some digging. The Ladrones were on my bucket list so I hope they are still BLM.

I did some contract work on top of Socorro Peak in Socorro some years ago. It's amazing what's up there. A lot of military hardware that used to test artillery and explosives on. Shooting holes through 12" steel plates blowing up 500# bombs.
I wish I had known about NM Tech when younger. I would have been very interested in the mining studies. And of course explosives. Young guys like to blow things up.

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exploring your caves.

I hope that you are OK, if you decided to enter caves.

The opening that you seek is not those in your pictures.
The cave openings in your pictures have clues as to where to look for other signs/alternate entrance?:coffee2:

footxless

Jun 11, 2012
belen
Detector(s) used
garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did these mines ever get explored?\

jljlochland

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2016
NM
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a fairly new member and just read your post about mines in the Ladrones Mtns. I have explored the area around the SW side and found an old ranch house made of stone, but no mines. I realize your post was from 2012, but I would be interested in where you found those mines as well as going with you if you are still in the hunt. jljlochland

footxless

Jun 11, 2012
belen
Detector(s) used
garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did that farm house have 2 other building near it? was it in a ravine a bit south of the mountain? im just curious i seem something on google earth i was going to check out.

jljlochland

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2016
NM
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it did not. It was a small building with rock walls and the roof was caved in. On what side of the mountain did you find the mine entrances? I am interested in going back up there when I get some time off from work. I live in Los Lunas, so the exit to Bernardo is only about 40 minutes away.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know why some abandon threads just when they become interesting.
Maybe they die, become insane, move away, loose interest, become disabled, anything's possible I guess.

footxless

Jun 11, 2012
belen
Detector(s) used
garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The life of a explorer. I can never stay focused on one thing. as soon as i start on this path i find my self chasing something in a far off corner somewhere else.

aries458

Nov 20, 2014
Alamogordo
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Tesoro ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn, two years too late! I was wondering about the Ladron peak area myself. Looked like an interesting place to explore. My friend went to her friends ranch many years ago, found lots of interesting things there.

CloudN9ne0404

Apr 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amethyst hunting

Hey I'm a lot late to the show. If anyone's interested me and a few friends want to go amethyst hunting up on ladrone we heard its a good spot. anyone have any tips or help?

CloudN9ne0404

Apr 25, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I'm a lot late to the show. If anyone's interested me and a few friends want to go amethyst hunting up on ladrone we heard its a good spot. anyone have any tips or help?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread