Civil war

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
I been trying to find any information on where confederates made camp along the rio grande river enroute to take albuquerque, santa fe, and back to texas after loosing at glorietta. Found route they took on march and retreat but nothing about setting up camp along the way. 80-100 supply wagons along with the riders and foot soldiers must make a good size camp somewhere to hunt for relics! !

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I been trying to find any information on where confederates made camp along the rio grande river enroute to take albuquerque, santa fe, and back to texas after loosing at glorietta. Found route they took on march and retreat but nothing about setting up camp along the way. 80-100 supply wagons along with the riders and foot soldiers must make a good size camp somewhere to hunt for relics! !

Start at a city or town that was there at that time and figure 12-18 miles a day. that is about how far they would have traveled.

OP
OP
nnieto505

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks! Thought the same thing but then started wondering how far off the river they would camp or would it be close enough for the horses?? Hoping it would be just off the river cause anything further out is now farm land

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You need to private message me.

I have over 10 years of research invested in this exact subject.

Attachments

• image-3992080422.png
    image-3992080422.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 198

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
nnieto505 - interesting project. A friend of mine was into the same thing back quite a few years ago. Many of the campsites were used by all sorts of travelers since the 16th century. It was pretty much the only north/south route through the state until settlement after the CW. There was also limited traffic up and down the Pecos River. Presumably, there's a bunch of cultural cross-pollination at he campsites.

My buddy was using aerial photographs and was able to find some tracks between Las Cruces and Socorro, but not much. Hopefully Tejaas has access to some military records. Please keep us posted with your results.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the location of some old forts is still known, they are under pecan trees now. What type of ammo would one expect to find, as I always find bullets and casing out of town?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
People I've talked to remember relatives still finding relics from the Battle of Glorieta in recent memory. I've been it the Glorieta mountains a number of times but I was looking for something else. The battle took place after the Confederate occupation of Santa Fe. Most likely route from Albuquerque and Santa Fe was the La Bahada. Now Rt 25.

NMCaveman

Greenie
Jan 12, 2014
Aztec NM
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up south of Albuquerque in bosque farms. My mother was born there and there was supposedly an active battle just north of the intersection of the south bosque loop and hwy 47. This was on the east side of hwy 47 across from what used to be the sidewinder inn. Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions