Wagon West 2014 "at least" New Mexico, ISO

Giddy Up

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2014
Detector(s) used
Panning at present
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Yall! New to this forum, but not so new at panning gold. Though, I probably have a few rusty spots on me now.

My hubby and I are now prepping for our journey back West via horse pulled covered wagon. New Mexico is "at least" on our journeying map. I use to live in Gold Dust back in the late 50's, early 1960's. My Dad prospected all around there, as did most of our prospecting neighbors in Gold Dust. Gone, but sure not forgotten! I'd like to at least journey through that area again for ol'time sake, if that is even possible any more? Haven't been that way in many years now. Curiosity has me wondering if that house on the hill top would even still be there? Heard many mining plans, strikes and stories at that ol'house :) (Pic taken in the 70's)
House in Gold Dust, N.M. - Copy.jpg

Any one know of places we could possibly over night camp (in our wagon) w/horses and maybe do a little gold panning? Just some memories I'd like to re-live again from my bucket list.
Been away from all this mining stuff for so long now, rules-law changing and heaven forbid we sure do not intend to trespass!

Any suggestions, we'd sure appreciate!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

WALLYDUKE

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm not especially familiar with the Hillsboro area but My dad has a small homestead about 60 miles southwest of Hillsboro you would be welcome to stay and rest at. The ranch is on a dried up stretch of the Mimbres riven on Perrin Rd NW, about 15 minutes north of Deming, NM. My mother in law is a local Native American and they would both be glad to hear any stories of mining or local history. My dad and I have an expedition planned for march of this spring to pan gold around Gold Gulch in the Burro's but we have never been very successful at finding any real color, just good memories. If you are at all interested in coming this way I would be happy to PM you their phone number. Happy Trails

Wallyduke

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread