Laws for panning

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
Hey I been curious about the laws for panning in jemez, taos and sandia areas. I see a few saying it's ok and some that it's not. I also see some that say you just gotta ask at the ranger station and they'll usually let you but what's the definitive law on it. So if panning IS allowed I can just print it out and show in case any questions come up. Thanks for any info you guys have cause me and my son wanna go but just nervous and don't want to get in trouble. Thanks!!

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link to the Santa Fe national forest website, that's where Jemez springs is.

Santa Fe - Rocks & Minerals

Its your job to know the status of the land before you head out. It is also your right to prospect, there is no way in Juarez I would ask a ranger permission
to do something that I have the right to do.

Again, It IS YOUR JOB to KNOW the STATUS of the land you are going to prospect. It kind of sucks, it requires a lot of research. I've never dealt with
forest service land, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out if an area is open to mineral location. It pretty much tells you on that page I linked to, where you
can't prospect.

Then of course you have to respect peoples claims.. That opens up a whole other can of worms, and more research. Land matters is a good starting point.
Maps, Mining claims, New Mexico mining claims... That can give you a good idea of the land status and how many claims are in each section. If there are
claims, its a good indication that there is gold there. Then how do you know where the claims are in each section? The BLM can't tell you, there is no map
out there that tells you. You need to head on down to the county clerks office and start pulling paper work and piecing it together.

Unfortunately it isn't as easy as asking a ranger, or looking at a map, it sure would be nice if it was, but it isn't, and we have to live with that.

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
TEK 4000,TEK G2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud long time no talk to, I would say lets go for it (If I was invited of course lol) . I think the time to start worrying is when we start finding nuggets :occasion14: ive talked to the rangers up in the Sandias and they said it was all good to take minerals found out of the forest. Its the archeological stuff that you gotta leave behind. Now this was concerning metal detecting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nnieto505

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
Haha your invited anytime!! Thinking of going this weekend either Saturday or Sunday. Talked to one the Rangers last week and he said he's panned a little gold up the creek east from battleship rock. I wanna go out at LEAST every other weekend to places up to bout hour and half away from ABQ. Let me know man I'm always up for something!!!

xxJimboxx

Nov 19, 2014
Rio Rancho New Mexico
Detector(s) used
TEK 4000,TEK G2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good man I will hit you up I always look for good reasons to be in the mountains ... and the possibility of finding gold..... we all know how that would feel...
:thumbsup:

GoldDiggerBill

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh this one one of the areas I want to explore. The Sandia Mountains area.
Anyone made it up or there yet?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh this one one of the areas I want to explore. The Sandia Mountains area.
Anyone made it up or there yet?

I can see the Sandia's from my house. I only gathered gravels once from the Huertas Creek that runs down
the mountain. My 5 or 6 buckets came up empty.
There were reports from the early 1900's of gold in the creek where it enters Placitas. Because of this I could
expect there is a vein somewhere up stream. It would be an interesting hike to start at the near top of the
mountain and work your way down along the creak. The road roughly follows the creek down to Placitas.
There was also a large silver mine on the East side near Tejon.

oldfiredog

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2011
Take the trail up to tunnel springs. Winter is best, summer time can be hot and remember to watch for snakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread