Interpretation

sneeky

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2007
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and think it is awesome. Just realized there was a New Mexico area and that is what I need some help with. I've posted in the General Discussion under New Mexico Interpretation that goes into detail. But here are my questions.
In the area of Truth or Consequences or Las Cruces, does anyone know of some rock formations that look like umbrellas or mushrooms, probably between the size of a car and a house? If so, where. Are these kind of rock formations common? Also, if a spanish speaking person described an area as "bad ground", what do you think that might mean. Thanks for any of your input or thoughts.
Todd

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked my next door neighbor about, "bad ground". He said his grandpa told him it would mean an area where mostly nothing would grow.

OP
OP
S

sneeky

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2007
Jonny,
Would that be because of lava fields, or alkaline soil or some other condition in the area? I just don't know what the ground is like. Here in Utah I guess you could consider the whole salt flats bad ground.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a desert type area where due to bad soil (poisonious minerals) nothing grows and often the water is often deadly to drink to boot -- a "bad" area for any living thing esp humans -- the "bad lands" means a harsh rough place to live -- often used as outlaw hide out areas --due to little to no population in them. fairly self explaining really.--- "bad" land--- Ivan

OP
OP
S

sneeky

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2007
Ivan,
Thanks for your input. Do you think that kind of ground could be identified from google earth or terra server, or would it be something you would have to walk and see in person? Also, would there be a lot of area that would be considered bad ground or just patches? Thanks
Todd

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
usually bad lands are fairly large areas where little grows due to the bad mineral content of the soil and the "deadly water" caused by it --- with its lack of vegitation it should be easily noticible via land search type stuff --- google earth mapping---- but often the area is rather bland and monotone with little to "notice" but --- DEAD EARTH --- some areas of course are worse that others -- thats where your good common sense and detective skills have to kick in (of course that normally means going into the "bad lands" in person --- please if you do ----go well prepared (AND HOPEFULLY NOT ALONE) or not at all --- cuz their not called "bad lands" for nothing you know (often in the old days lots of "poorly prepared" folks died in the "bad lands" via thirst, starving and bandits ---- things in places like that didn't change much since then --so be aware of that--BAD LANDS means just that---bad water --no plant life and dry hard rocky conditions--- for the most part its a place you really normally wouldn't go to) --- sorry but thats the gist of it. --- Ivan

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this particular case it was bad land because of the alkali content. I used to hunt and old place in Calif. that had a very high ratio of alkali and it was murder on all coins. The only reason we kept going back was because of the tremendous amount of coins we found, (it was the end of the line for a narrow gauge railroad, there were about 15 buildings back then) but the coins were all extremely corroded.

Black Cloud

May 22, 2006
They (he) is probably just referring to the "malpais" area of volcanic rock that covers such a wide area not far from there.

Homesteader

Apr 18, 2003
Silver City, NM USA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also heard it used for an area in or around mines, caves, etc that you wouldn't want to walk on or work due to possible cave-ins, unstability, etc

kidcentavo

Greenie
Dec 3, 2007
"Bad ground" to the native Spanish people, MEANT ground that would not support the raising of sheep or cattle. Kidcentavo

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Sneeky:
In the area of "TorC" ( very general area!) ,
Yes!
I know of some "mushroom" shaped rocks
&
No! They are not common at all !

CogitoNM

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Detector(s) used
OKM Rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Also, if a spanish speaking person described an area as "bad ground", what do you think that might mean. Thanks for any of your input or thoughts.
Todd

For the rock, I'd have to see a picture, but 'bad ground' is 'mal pais' in Spanish. El Malpais is the beautiful, but rugged, area south of Grants and north of Quemado.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a lot of land here that can't support one unit of cattle. That's one cow and one calf. I guess it could be called bad ground being no fertile soil and alkali. As for places like El Malpais that's no ground. Just volcanic rock. It's amazing how long it's been barren and no soil has covered it.
There are mushroom rocks around Beasti Badlands but that's way north.
As poor as some land is some things will still grow. Chilies and cactus anyway.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Malpais is not as bad as most assume. It primarily looks bad along the two roads that border it. There are quite extensive grazing areas within the Malpais. The government rents about 25,000 acres to one rancher who grazes his cattle on it.

In addition there are a number of trails that cross the Malpais even though the government has only identified one, being the Zuni trail. The original Zuni trail started south of what is the current trail. When the govt. wanted to create the trail, the origin was on private property and the landowner would not let the govt. put the trail head there. So they just moved it north, put markers on the trail so people wouldn't get lost, and came out on the other side with no one the wiser. The Spanish back in the old days created there trails, and if you know how to read rock signs, you can follow the trail by going from one rock to the next.

The Malpais are quite dangerous, and if you have no experience, it is not wise to attempt to wander around in the Malpais, especially by yourself!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread