Railroad Mountains South of Kenna [between Roswell and Portales]

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
I can't swear the location's exactly right on the map below, but if you're following the road on the map you can't miss the Railroad Mountains off to the right. It's a long, low lava flow runs parallel to the road a couple of miles.

When I was a youngster in the 1950s I was working on a ranch a few miles southeast of there and would go there nosing around when I had time off. Found some of the best obsidian knives and points in there I've ever found. I doubt that country has gained rather than lost in population during all those years since, so you probably don't need permission from anyone to hop the fence and do some scouting around.

I was working for a man named Jenkens, only offspring married into the Southard family and they were the biggest land-holders in those parts even before the matrimony. Probably when Mays died it all joined up.... lots of BLM land in their holdings. Jenkins had 13 sections owned and leased, and the Southards, if I recall correctly had nearer 15. Both had 5-10 abandoned ranch houses on their places. So if you are into good-old-boying you might ask around to find out whether the Southards are still out there and try to get acquainted with them. They might point you to some good sites.

Desolate country then and more so now

Attachments

• Railroad Mountains2 33 41 21 67N 103 56 12 42W.jpg
    Railroad Mountains2 33 41 21 67N 103 56 12 42W.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 723
  • Desolate country then and more so now.jpg
    Desolate country then and more so now.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,400

nmtha

Nov 29, 2009
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer II, and ace 250
From Portales, and yes i think the southards are still out there. there is a house on the side of the hill witht the big radio tower right on the east side of Kenna bar. that is where they lived. its a good sized house and ranch. this was about 10 yrs ago that i did some plumbing work out there for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread