Obscure New Mexico Ghost Towns - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Obscure New Mexico Ghost Towns

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2014
    Hatch, New Mexico
    1141 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Of all the places we visited (only in the lower half of N M), around Silver City looks like one of the best places to hunt due to its history and old buildings.
    The history out here is just insane, I'm in Southern New Mexico. Every time I think I've heard it all, something new pops up.... Like the train thing up in one of the sub forums.

Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, Kit Carson(up north), Geronimo, Victorio, Albert Fountain, Albert Fall... A lot of interesting stuff, and a lot of good books about all of it..
    I haven't read a book that didn't have to do with finding gold or local history in a few years, and I've still got a pile to go through.

I'm surprised nobody has swiped the door to that old jail in Hillsboro yet..

Here's a fun book about the Fountain Murder Trial that took place in Hillsboro... Historical fiction, I got a kick out of it...

http://www.amazon.com/Conspiracy-Tri.../dp/B00ND98M0U

May 2015
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobw53 View Post
    The history out here is just insane, I'm in Southern New Mexico. Every time I think I've heard it all, something new pops up.... Like the train thing up in one of the sub forums.

Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, Kit Carson(up north), Geronimo, Victorio, Albert Fountain, Albert Fall... A lot of interesting stuff, and a lot of good books about all of it..
    I haven't read a book that didn't have to do with finding gold or local history in a few years, and I've still got a pile to go through.
    You should seek out "Cricket in the Web" by Paula Moore, all about the Cricket Coogler murder. I'm not sure if you've heard of that case (I'm surprised to find a lot of locals haven't), but it's the New Mexico equivalent of the Black Dahlia murder. A 19-year-old waitress's murder led to an investigation that literally stopped New Mexico from being a gambling destination like Vegas. Really.

A companion book to this is the out-of-print "Murder Near the Crosses" by Peter Sandman. Paula Moore's book focuses on the investigation and intrigue. Sandman's book gives a surprise solution. Sandman's book is hard to find, but if you're really interested in the case it's a bombshell when you read the author's conclusions. It makes you feel like you should have seen it all along.

Edited to add: My copy of "Cricket in the Web" was autographed by the author. (Gloat Gloat)
    Last edited by Drogo; May 29, 2015 at 11:21 AM.
    bobw53 likes this.

Oct 2014
    Hatch, New Mexico
    1141 times
    I had never heard of Cricket Coogler, then again I've only been here 15 years... So I bought the first book you recommended, $8 with shipping....

Then I looked at the second book.

Murder Near the Crosses: Peter Sandman, Peg Tremper: 9780976995838: Amazon.com: Books

I found one place that had it for $50 and if you read the comments on Amazon, or more specifically the replies to the comments, it does give an e-mail address of somebody selling the books.
    7 year old comment, so who knows if its still valid. Apparently the rights got all tied up when the author died. Though Brannigan library has it, its due back on 6/12.

So I called my better half to ask if she had heard of the Cricket Coogler Murder... Of course she had. And we have both those books and the movie... So I wasted $8...

Link to the movie..
    New The Silence of Cricket Coogler A Political Murder 094922643148 094922643148 | eBay

Of course the only place that has it is Coas... I love that place... I wonder if they have the books on the shelf?

Thanx for tip off... More books to put in the que.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1789 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GhostMerc2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	1180499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GhostSchool-3.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	1180500I spent some time in Colfax in the mid 90's. What caught my eye was the elaborate water collection system. Water would collect in small channels that ran from up the hill and down to an area below ground. I imagined it might have been the laundry.
    The schoolhouse was in fairly good shape.
    bobw53 likes this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    Dec 2015
    The New Mexican Desert
    3 times
    Shipwrecks
    Thanks for the thread man its awesome, i read through most of it but didn't see "Nara Visa" mentioned. Its north-east of Tucumcari on highway 54, right on the east end of NM's state line. I have no clue if you can go poke around. Its possible because the town still has a post office and motel operational it isn't considered "ghost" yet. But when i drove through with my uhaul there was at least 20 houses still standing but abandoned, I really wanted to stop but i had my cat with me so i couldn't lol Either way its cool to drive through and see!
    Nichoelle likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links