Quemado area

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
mjido: You never said exactly what type of place interests you.

If you're looking for old cabin sites you can locate a lot of them in the maze of canyons draining south off Slaughter Mesa. Also in Apache Peak. A few in the Gallos. A few up on Black Peak in the areas hard to get to. A lot in Centerfire Bog as you follow the two-track east-west almost the length of it. The drainage going into Centerfire Bog from Black Peak, if you leave the Bog and go north into the peak along the drainage it will provide you some interesting surprises.

Also a lot not too far from where your property's located.

If you're looking for barbed-wire I can tell you a couple of places where there are some rolls lying around I never got around to back-tracking, and if he's still alive there's a man named Eddie Sanchez lives below the north face of Fox Mnt who's been there since the '50s can tell you a lot more.

Hell Roaring Mesa's got some good stuff on it if you get into the hard to get to places.

If you're looking for undocumented ruin sites you might want to PM me. No point documenting them now after all this while.

Jack

mjido

Aug 14, 2007
Western New Mexico
Highmountain,

Wow! What are interests? Good question. I would guess Treasure Stories tops my list,
The Spanish presence in the New Mexico Territories, the ancient Indians sites, and in general the history of the area, not just the Quemado area but also the whole southwest.

We are located about six mile north of Quemado, and three miles off a paved road. Now we have found lots of potshards and some arrow points. Also in the area we have found some pit house containing two to three rooms. In fact, I have found, on my property, an almost complete small pot.

On a of the very old downed pinion tree near where we built our home I found some unusual hash marks on the trunk, very interesting, It took awhile but I was able to following the general directions of the marks, and by golly found more. But that was the last couldn’t find any more.

By the way I did get a chance to pick up some information about the Red Hill Subdivision. Soon as I get a chance I will try to post it.

Jim

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Thanks amigo: I'll stay subscribed to this thread on the chance you get an opportunity to post it before I wander over that way. I'm particularly interested in whether lands are for sale between 22 Springs and Goat Springs or anywhere near the old road running from Goat Springs to Saint Johns.

I understand your fascination with the markings and trying to follow them. The west face of Fox Mountain's got a lot of them of various kinds and they captured me for a few years. It was an intriguing riddle I never solved.

Good luck to you
Jack

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Hey Jack ,
Where you been ? , miss yer post's ;D
MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread