Saratoga Ny Battle Fields

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I would like to metal detect some areas of interest...including some Saratoga battle fields and around Lake George NY. Being from Vt. Im not familar with detecting laws in Ny especially historic battle fields. Are they open to detecting with permission from land owners or are they off limits. If they are off limits are the posted so. I know here in Vt. state historic sites that are off limits are posted but private lands are open by land owners permisson.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
Same deal in NY if it is a State owen historic site no deal. Something to look up though there are different Historic type of markers in NY with very different meanings There are theses cast signs blue with yellow or gold wording on them that the state made for free and put them up anywhere anyone requested. Then it changed if you wanted one you have to buy it your self. They mark a historic site but offer no protection to that site. Anouther sign is for the building/house to be historic but does not protect the land from a metal detector. There is a NY state permit that will get you on some state beaches. Your best bet is to take some time and look it up. Private land can also be protected but the land owner would know if that were the case. There is treasure around lake George area, on state land ???

DoctorS

Feb 14, 2009
Tioga County NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ground Hog, Garrett GTA 1000, Garrett AT3
Try hitting up some of the schools in the Lake George area. The elementary school just off Bloody Pond Rd. was the site of a Revolutionary training grounds. I had a good discussion with one of the schools custodial staff who also detected the school grounds when we vacationed in Lake George a few years back. I found dropped and fired three ring minnies at the school. One of the dropped three ringers has teeth marks in it! Good Luck!

DrS

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
if i was near lake george i would most definitely try diamond island in lake george. i believe permits are needed just to visit the island but im not sure.

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Funny you mentioned diamond island. I have some arrowheads that were found there. I was cleanning out a attic for a 90 year old lady when I was a teen and found them in a old cigar box with a note, found at Diamond Island Lake George. She gave them to me and said that her late husband found them in the 30's.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
The state wants the items to be preserved. And preserved means sitting in the ground? That ain't right. ??? ??? ??? ???

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I would say Your best bet would be to do a internet search for Hiking trails within the area , That are not located on Protected Land . also this sounds crazy , try out fossil , and mineral clubs within the area online , they have very helpfull info in locating old mines , Hiking , parking , etc etc .

New York State Hiking Trail Finder
http://www.slackpacker.com/map_ny.html

damien41

May 13, 2014
Stillwater NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTI 2500 Eagle pinpointing, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT pro super sniper coil. Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi undertaker,

I live in Stillwater NY, .5 miles from the Battle of Saratoga. The Town of Stillwater will not allow anyone to metal detect the battle of Saratoga. They have Rangers the patrol the area every day. Behind my house is where Bemis Heights is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions