Anybody from the Poughkeepsie/Hyde Park area and know the rules up here...

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
I'm planning on getting into metal detecting again after many years away from this great hobby. Would anybody know the rules and regulations for the Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie area. Right now I plan on my yard and that of a friend but want to branch out as soon as possible. Also anybody need a detecting buddy or have some tips for an old fogey? I currently don't have a car (blew the engine and couldn't afford to fix it), but I can get around using the bus system if necessary.
John from "thawing" Upstate NY

OP
OP
John987

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
I'm still looking for someone to team up with in the Poughkeepsie - Hyde Park area. I feel there's safety in numbers and this area has a lot to offer. I'll MD by myself but it's always more fun to hunt with others. Doesn't anyone from this area detect?
John from Hyde Park
(64 yr old Viet Nam Vet)

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey john we are from kingston and are newbies to the hobby
have a few areas that we want to check out around here and we are looking for other areas
may be when the weather gets warmer we can set up a meet

OP
OP
John987

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
fmerg said:
hey john we are from kingston and are newbies to the hobby
have a few areas that we want to check out around here and we are looking for other areas
may be when the weather gets warmer we can set up a meet
Fmerg,
Sounds good to me. So far my preliminary inquiries have proven positive as far as the Parks in Poughkeepsie. I checked with the Town Clerk and didn't get much info as she didn't know of any ordinances that prohibited MD'ng. I was connected to the Parks Department and they didn't know of any restrictions and they see people doing it. I then called the Police but only spoke to the dispatcher who was ready to transfer me to the City Hall. I told him that I already spoke to them. He really couldn't give me any further info. I will in my travels talk to the Police and find out what their situation is. But so far, everything looks cool - just like the old days in the Bronx (nobody cared as long as you didn't make a mess) (Currently in NYC, YOU NOW NEED A PERMIT TO DETECT AND ONLY IN CERTAIN AREAS.) I am not finding that up here yet. At least the people I have talked to know nothing curtailing our great hobby. But before I venture out into any parks, I want to know that it is allowed and the ones that should know are the Police. Eventually, I'll be researching private lands and see what I can come up with. But first, I'd like to try the parks when I figure out where they are. As far as Hyde Park, I have no information. But I'll be working on that next after I have the total scoop on Poughkeepsie. This is a very old area with a lot of history. It's just that it takes time to get all the facts. I was hoping that someone from POK or Hyde Park could fill in some info but so far no one has come forward. I look forward to meeting up with you in the near future so we can start finding some old stuff.
John from Hyde Park
ps...............I like your avatar :thumbsup:

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Ill tell ya one thing Poughkeepsie & Kingston are pretty good areas , to find lots of oldies but goodies . I would recommend getting your hands on a copy of United States Treasure Atlas , Volume 7 , for around $13 bucks Which has areas of intrest in NY "ghost towns etc etc .. Also if your newbies you need to check out Sergei from Upstate NY website http://www.metaldetectingworld.com
He is located around the Albany area but has allot of Great tips , and Photos of your area , just click on the detecting in USA link , when you click on a topic , its easy to miss but there are page numbers , with more pages , for example if you click on story #1 Discovery of a Picnic Grove in Upstate New York , at the bottom there is more pages to the story , with photos etc etc . :thumbsup:

OP
OP
John987

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
007 said:
Ill tell ya one thing Poughkeepsie & Kingston are pretty good areas , to find lots of oldies but goodies . I would recommend getting your hands on a copy of United States Treasure Atlas , Volume 7 , for around $13 bucks Which has areas of intrest in NY "ghost towns etc etc .. Also if your newbies you need to check out Sergei from Upstate NY website http://www.metaldetectingworld.com
He is located around the Albany area but has allot of Great tips , and Photos of your area , just click on the detecting in USA link , when you click on a topic , its easy to miss but there are page numbers , with more pages , for example if you click on story #1 Discovery of a Picnic Grove in Upstate New York , at the bottom there is more pages to the story , with photos etc etc . :thumbsup:
Thanks fot the tips. I already have the book but haven't had that much time to look into it deeply! But that is also on my to-do list. Thanks for reminding me.
Happy Hunting
John from Upstate NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread