NYC MDing off-season w/ Permit...

Jul 2, 2009
NYC Metro
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
NYC MD'ing off-season w/ Permit...

Hi everyone,

A question about beach hunting in the "off-season" with Labor Day fast approaching. The NYC Parks permit application states:

"9. Applicant shall not go into any closed beach areas. Areas may be closed due to endangered species (24 hours per day, April 15 through Labor Day), dangerous conditions (at all times), or the absence of Lifeguards (10am - 6pm, Memorial Day through Labor Day)."

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that there is ABSOLUTELY no MD'ing on allowed beaches after Labor Day, until the following Memorial day? Or does it mean that just the water area of the beaches are closed (ie, no going in the water), but that the sand areas are not off limits?

And am I correct in reading the rules, that even if the beaches are closed, the parks are still fair game through the fall/winter?

Thanks everyone!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: NYC MD'ing off-season w/ Permit...

Quantumparticle,
The way I would interpret it is that if the beach is posted specifically that it is closed due to bird migration or specific beach conditions then it is off limits. Otherwise I think you are good to go. Keep in mind I'm not a lawyer, I don't work for NYC beaches or park departments. It could be interpreted differently depending on which ranger you run into and if they want to make a point or not.

If you call NYC I'm sure they will say it is off limits but I don't think that is the intended purpose of that line and I don't think it will be enforced in the field. You may want to call a member of the NJ/NY Task Force (recently changed their name). They were working on getting Prospect Park and another park added back to the MD permit. They were able to get them opened for detecting on Tuesday and Saturdays but now they are working on getting it opened for the entire week again. They have really pulled apart the rules/regulations and understand them much better then I. You can also reach out to the New York Research and Recovery Club. Many of their members are part of the task force.

Good luck,
NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread