what is the status of shore line and tidal areas on the Hudson River ?

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
what is the status of shore line and tidal areas on the Hudson River ?

Can one legally hunt the Hudson River shore line on public land ? Private land ?

Can one legally hunt the inter tidal area ? (the area between high and low tides)

Can one legally hunt the river bottom in shallow water ?

I used to walk the Hudson shore as a kid 40 years ago and found some interesting iron stuff and even some lead pipe. I am sure it was OK back then, but what about today ?

OP
OP
L

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
wow, no reply's, hmmm, I guess either no one knows, or no one cares. The Hudson river shore line is long and is twice the legnth of the River itself, that is a lot of area to detect or is it off limits? Anyone know?

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that im not sure of not many people use the ny part i had a post in here for almost 4 months before i got an answer

OP
OP
L

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
OK, I guess I have to answer my own question. see .........

http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metaldetectinglaws.html

when I started this thread, I mentioned that 40 years ago I used to walk the Hudson eastern shoreline and would often find interesting things, and that I thought picking them up was legal then but didn't know what the status was now. Well, from what I read, unless you are on private land with the owner's permission, you and I, even 40 years ago are and were breaking the law. :-( apparently even the tidal zone on private land is classified as PUBLIC LAND and thus would fall under the antiquity laws.

Unless you are on PRIVATE land, beware of picking up anything, and unfortunately most of the Hudson shoreline I used to walk and would like to walk and search again, is now public land. :-(

If someone knows otherwise, or can further inform regarding the issue, please speak up. sigh......

bigmac6006

Oct 6, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Well, this may be little help to you, but one must first define public land. If the land you are referring to is State property, then I would tread with extreme caution, as the State of New York has very strict rules on MD'g and digging on state property. Depending on the AHJ for the State property, you just having a MD in your hand will draw negative attention to yourself. Some of the parks have experienced looters and individuals who deface the public land. I love MD'g, but I love the public lands and their beauty even more. No secret, there are some greedy people involved in our hobby that don't respect anythign but the mighty dollar. This makes my historical research and validation process very difficult when it comes to finding physical evidence. Most shorelines on State property do permit MD'g, but it is generally only allowed before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. The permit has a fee. The cost is dependant on how many sights the permit covers. In Upstate NY, I can get a permit that covers me at six different beaches. County property is different. In most NY counties, you can hunt with out written permission, but you WILL want to call the county parks director and get a name, time, date, and record the area that you requested. This will cover you in the event the Sherriffs or "concerned citizen" decides to give you a hard time. Township and village parks work the same way. Don't be afraid to ask... the worst they can say is no. What I have found is: if I am told no one year, if I ask the next year, someone else is in charge and will approve it. BEWARE: I promise you someone from the AHJ will show up to evaluate your respect level for the public land. I went out last week after calling the county parks department, and one of the officials (I knew personally) showed up and watched me from a distance to make sure I was not making a mess of the property. He was shocked when "I" approached him. He stated that there had been problems in the past. The nice part was, he reported back that I was also cleaning up the beach as I went. LOL... I ended up making $2.00 in beer cans. My daughter takes all my can money and sometimes goes along with me to find cans that I miss... She is four.

am18594

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2010
new york
hello there. im very new to this site. i see ur in bronx. im in queens. do i need any permits to hit beaches or parks in the five boroughs? thanks alot!

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we have detected the short line of the hudson a few times
the dec checked us out as well as some local police
no one ever said we should not detect the river
as for our local beach the mayor of our town said we can detect on any city owned property

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread