Anyone in Broome County, Tioga county area of NY (lots of views with no answers)

Dreamweaver43

May 25, 2006
Wisconsin
Re: Anyone live near the Broome County, Tioga county area of NY

I used to live in Ithaca, and am origionally from Binghamton......but my job took me to Wisconsin.

Dreamweaver

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro

I grew up in Afton, NY, but am now in Phoenix

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Grew up in Whitney Point, spent college at SUNY Binghamton and now in smAlbany. Mom's living in Broome County (pretty close to you btw, King St near Brothers 2). I come back 5-6 times a year but have not had any luck with the DFX to hunt. It's going back this weekend to get repairs and then it's off to the races in the spring. If you know any good spots let me know. I am researching a few...one that used to be a park or fairgrounds circa 1890-1900 in Binghamton so let me know. I can hear the silver dimes calling us...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Born in Binghamton. Now live in Port Crane (near Tunnel).

Afton? My Mom is from Nineveh Junction (Grandpa was the stationmaster at the Junction) in the suburbs of Afton. :D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Born in Binghamton. Now live in Port Crane (near Tunnel).

Afton? My Mom is from Nineveh Junction (Grandpa was the stationmaster at the Junction) in the suburbs of Afton. :D

Suburbs of Afton? That's funny. We should get together for a hunt sometime. You ever get anything at the BC fairgrounds? My grandpa used to hit it a lot but never found squat. I would suppose it's hit pretty hard since it's been a fair since the 1890s.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I actually live as close to Afton as I do Binghamton. Good pizza at the Afton Market. ;)

Never tried the BC Fairgrounds. I've seen others doing it in passing by. I tried Whitney Point/Dorchester Park and found about 1,829 pull-tabs, bottle caps, screw tops . . . and 37¢ No concession stands so no one goes into their pockets.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Charlie P. (NY) said:
I actually live as close to Afton as I do Binghamton. Good pizza at the Afton Market. ;)

Never tried the BC Fairgrounds. I've seen others doing it in passing by. I tried Whitney Point/Dorchester Park and found about 1,829 pull-tabs, bottle caps, screw tops . . . and 37¢ No concession stands so no one goes into their pockets.

I have some tips for Dorchester for you. When I was in Grade School and Jr High at Whitney Point each year we would go to Dorchester park in the spring for a class picnic...each class would have it's own picnic each year. There were three places that were main attractions. 1. The beach. 2. The creek closest to the beach and 3. The hill behind this creek.
Hit the creek hard. Most of us spent quite a bit of time catching crayfish and minnows in this creek.
I remember the hill crawling with kids. There is an old grove of pine trees at the top of the hill closer to the road.
Of course you know about the Beach.

Two other things you might want to look at are along the shore of the lake closer to the entrance. I have seen people wading and fishing in this part.
Also the first creek that you cross where you drive your car across the bridge has a swimming hole up the creek from the lake. I can't remember if this is in the park or not. I don't remember this swimming hole being a big attraction but I remember the older kids used to sneak away and go up there. Also, if you have a boat you might want to try detecting some of the islands. On the opposite side of the lake (Up Keibel Rd past the highschool) there are several places where people have fished for years. There is always somebody up there fishing. They might be good spots to try.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Any of you guys interested in hunting tioga county?

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

out of 1340 views, no one is around here?

CaesarDIGS

Sep 1, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bobby S ... Just started treasure hunting in Broome County ... NY in Binghamton ... I'm here

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bobby S ... Just started treasure hunting in Broome County ... NY in Binghamton ... I'm here
Hey man, you find any places to hunt?

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im.from.oswego county used to md with a friend down in the area if i make it down there ill let ya know got a few spots down there

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im.from.oswego county used to md with a friend down in the area if i make it down there ill let ya know got a few spots down there

Sounds good man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions