new york state parks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NY State Offices Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation - Central Region 6105 East Seneca Turnpike, Jamesville NY 13078-9516 Permit $10 -- 315-492-1756

is metal detecting allowed in the state park beaches along lake ontario?

Kevin Roe

Greenie
Mar 24, 2013
New York,USA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the answer that would be helpful for you to get the right deal.
You need to get permit then you can start the searching.

Albert22

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you find a solicitor first in that state and ask him that what legal document are needed for that than you can apply for that and get legal help to do all your searching and all the other thing that you want.

doc brown

Oct 30, 2010
central NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Max, delta 4000, Makro racer 2, Simplex +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevin is right - You need a permit to hunt along the beach - to hunt the grounds is a no-no. Depending on where you are the permit costs $10.00. I have asked to hunt the campsites, picnic areas and was told only the sand. And usually you can only hunt during the "off" season - the one state park I hunted the permit said the day after labor day to the day before memorial day. They didn't want metal detecting during the beach season.

Scrammer

Apr 5, 2013
Between Buffalo and Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro;
AT Pro Pointer;
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the park. I believe they are all $10.00 each but the areas, times, etc. is up to the parks themselves. My closest park is a yearly fee which covers beach and picnic areas only, and they just ask that you do not "interfere with patrons". During the registration I asked about a spot in the park that was a gathering place in the 1800's before it was a state park and the rangers eyes lit up. He added "and outlying areas" to the permit as long as I agreed that if I found the spot I let him know and showed him where. He said he has been looking for years and hasn't found it yet.

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like new york, You need a permit to crap in your own house. Greedy pricks.

You are correct . I live in a town where you have to pay $25 for a permit if you wanna have a garage sale .

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I tried detecting Hamlin beach...If i buy a permit I can detect for like 1 month out of the year...and not in the grass..WHAT BS!! I pay all these dam taxxes so i cant use my states park....Yet the dogs and squirrel's tear the hell out of the place or leave land mines all over..It seems whoever is in charge of these parks has decided they are judge and juror on this subject.Some parks the BOSS will let you.Hamlin ,NO NO.That guy running the show is a jerk.He had no good reason we could'nt detect other than HE did like it.Couldnt even give me a good excuse.In a case like this all i can do is pray he losses his job since he is not doing it very well,and maybe the next BOSS will be more logical.All the trash and sharp objects ive removed from the beaches on lake erie..including well over a dozen syringes last year(scum bags!) in just 4 trips.The erie beach state park said go ahead and detect.Just take all the trash you find.Niagaracounty tho...you would think we are stealing something.Always someone waiting to pounce on people for being happy.This hobby is no different.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is metal detecting allowed in the state park beaches along lake ontario?

The answer is YES BUT.

Excerpts from posts on a thread on the same subject (permits on Mass. Beaches) as this one:

EUREKA : This Summer I received a permit to Metal Detect on the South Shore Beaches of Long Island NY. The reason I am posting this is because I think it will clear up where Mass. is headed with their proposed Legislation of Laws with regard to MD'ing.

In addition to the $40 for the permit to detect, I had to pay another $40 for a Vehicle permit to park or ride along the beaches. Regulation #3 is a JOKE (i hope).

HEY, PARKS DEPARTMENT - here's my $80 dollars for the Permits - now you can hit me on the head with your hammer because it feels so good when you stop! I'll carry the card but I'm not signing it.

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA (responded)
Eureka, thanx for posting a pix of your "permit". What a joke, eh? My sand scoop is over 6" and over 1.5" wide. So I guess that rules out sand-scoops for digging? And how are you going to determine what defines an "archaeological artifact" ? Let me guess: "items over 50 yrs. old". Right? And you gotta turn in items over $20 in value? Yeah sure. then at some point, WHY EVEN METAL DETECT ? And your "permit" clearly shows the danger of permits. For some reason, md'rs eyes wax romantic at the thought of "permits". But as yours shows, they're inevitably riddled with restricions, NOT PERMISSIONS. We're much better off where the law/rules are simply silent on the subject, and don't mention metal detectors either way. And the best way to achieve that, is to stay off every busy-bodies radar, and give them as little reason to "think" about you, as possible.

EUREKA! : Right? I don't think that they even make a kids play shovel that's 1-1/2" wide. "I thought that was a typographic error Mr Park Ranger - I thought it meant not more than 1-1/2 feet wide - SORRY!" After all there's a typo error in #7 ("MUST no" instead of MUST not).

EUREKA! :Because NOTHING can be outrightly BANNED so they place unreasonable RESTRICTIONS which by design will DISCOURAGE MD'ing; the most effective way of BANNING MD'ING is to RESTRICT WHAT YOU CAN DO.

In case anyone is asking themselves: "What causes elected officials to make ridiculous law(s); read this article and you'll get a clearer picture of the cause:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinio...cle_5659a36e-ce57-52ad-8b0b-78ea3790446b.html

Attachments

• image-1029508981.jpg
    image-1029508981.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 524

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread