Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2012
sullivan county, NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I'm new to detecting and most of my friends are not interested in metal detecting or are busy. I am in sullivan county, would be interested in detecting in sullivan, orange or other NY counties in the area- also interested in PA Pike County or nearby. My availability is mainly weekends. Not trying to break any laws here, just looking for treasure of any sort to speed up my quest for independent wealth and early retirement, thanks!

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi-OK you found me!
JUST JOKING. I'm located in Pike County. I'm pretty new to MD'ing too, but seem to be spending much of my spare, and not so spare time doing just that. I have a Bounty Hunter Platinum
and Garrett Pro-Pointer. Until i can get some permission for privately owned sites, I spend most of my time in some woods or another, often by creeks, and evn in the extensive wooded areas of the development I live-in ( which is convenient for quick sessions). I plan to do research and seek permissions during the cold months, and have plans for some MD and excavating activities
that can be carried out even in winter.Any interesting places to search near you?

OP
OP
S

Sassyrose

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2012
sullivan county, NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it took so long to answer, been busy! Yes, there are a lot of interesting places near me- depending on what you are looking for. Of course, a lot of the sites are ones you can't go on and the rest are ones you need permission for. Figures, right?! I am mainly looking for coins, preferably silver, though I wouldn't turn down any that were gold! I'm afraid I know of no Spanish gold around here and no pirate treasure (apparently no ships sailed the Catskill Mountains!), though there are some revolutionary war era sites around and I've heard of civil war era spots here and there. My main interest is getting permission to hit up some of the derelict hotels around here. I doubt I will get any permission, but hey, if I don't try, I have zero chance of getting it, right? I'm basically just beginning. Unfortunately, I am still having a hard time keeping my holes small and not killing grass. Any suggestions on that? lol

Last edited:

Lucrothe

Oct 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I'm also new to MD'ing and I live near Middletown, NY (Orange County) and open going out on a group treasure hunt with you guys. I have an entry level MD and a gold pan kit. I'd like to find anything besides scrap metal and bullet shells!

Here is how I fill in my holes when I'm hunting on nice grass
1. First find a hot spot
2. Find a safe spot for checking material
3. Place a small tarp on the safe spot
4. Use your shovel and enter the ground at an angel and lift up and you should get a nice chunk of dirt with grass on top
5. Wave MD over the clump of dirt to see if the item is in it or not
6a. If it is in the clump, slowly dig from the bottom of clump and keep waving the MD near the clump until you find your item
6b. If it is not in the clump of dirt keep digging and checking the dirt on the tarp / safe zone
Once you find your item, set the clump dirt aside and pick up the tarp and fill in the hole and then put the clump of dirt back on top and step on it a few times

I hope it helps!

-Lucrothe

Cylon_Detector

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2014
Southern VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Fisher F2, Lesche Ball handle shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm rather new too! And I'm definitely in Sullivan County. Not sure if anyone on this thread is still active but I have been hunting this past week and would love to find some buddies to go with :) PM me and lets put together a club/group. Oh and I have a Fisher F2 currently. The best way to keep holes small and neat is to use the cut-a-plug method, of which I'd be happy to show you.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I just saw the post also. Live in Middletown and have been detecting for a few years. Just got a new AT Pro to replace my Ace 250 that got destroyed in a fire. Up to a hunt if anyone is interested. I have a site that has and is still producing some goodies. Relics more than coins but all depends on what your hunting for. PM me as well if interested.

Funkman

Cylon_Detector

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2014
Southern VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Fisher F2, Lesche Ball handle shovel, Lesche hand digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems that relics are more prevalent in these parts than coins. At least on my property. Pulled 6 wheats, 1 Buffalo Head, 3 clad quarters and 1 clad penny out of my property so far though. Mostly rusted chunks of iron, nails, and barbed wire though. Been talking with TankerRobbie about putting together a hunt at some point, others are more than welcome to join if interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread