Hello! New member here! New Yaawkers! et al.

Nefratiri

Nov 27, 2012
nyc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and hobby. I have always been interested in treasure hunting--thanks to Indiana Jones and the temple of doom, but have been embarrassed to swing a M/D around. In secret, I always wanted to metal detect and would eyeball people doing it without letting others know my heart's deepest desire to treasure hunt (hey Im just being honest!). Now that I'm a little bit older, I just got over myself and don't care, so I'm ready to fish around in the dirt/sand :) Recently, I have just took a plunge and purchased a Fisher Lab F2 metal detector, but now I'm having second thoughts. Other than reading Migliore's book, Metal Detecting for the Beginner, and some online research, there's a lot I still I need to know. Since I live in Brooklyn, I intend to go to the beaches mostly and secondary parks and etc... Does everyone think the Fisher Lab F2 is the best device under the $500 mark (it had great reviews so I bought it off amazon). Im mainly interested in hunting gold/silver jewelry and coins, but mostly gold jewelry. Should I return the F2 back and get a M/D with underwater capabilities? there are so many options! I think from my research, I definitely would like a VDI, at least 6" coil diameter and importantly, very light--I'm pretty petite and can't swing around a 5pound machine for long and risk looking like Popeye in one arm <laugh>.

I emailed and called the The Brooklyn Treasure Hunters club but the phone number was disconnect and email bounced back. If any fellow New Yaawkers like to reply with another association's info, I would great appreciate that.

I'm sure everyone knows this but you NEED a PERMIT to Metal Detect! wth! I'm still pissed off that I need a license to fish... an activity that mankind has engaged since the beginning of time, goodness! I can't you believe you need permission to look for stuff that people forgot about? What's next? the privatization of sunshine? sheesh!

In any case, again, hello to everyone and Im looking forward to being a part of this community. Any thoughts, advice, or stories that anyone would like to share would be great.

Nefratiri

(Jenny)

Marko0916

May 8, 2012
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Excal.II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nefratiri said:
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and hobby. I have always been interested in treasure hunting--thanks to Indiana Jones and the temple of doom, but have been embarrassed to swing a M/D around. In secret, I always wanted to metal detect and would eyeball people doing it without letting others know my heart's deepest desire to treasure hunt (hey Im just being honest!). Now that I'm a little bit older, I just got over myself and don't care, so I'm ready to fish around in the dirt/sand :) Recently, I have just took a plunge and purchased a Fisher Lab F2 metal detector, but now I'm having second thoughts. Other than reading Migliore's book, Metal Detecting for the Beginner, and some online research, there's a lot I still I need to know. Since I live in Brooklyn, I intend to go to the beaches mostly and secondary parks and etc... Does everyone think the Fisher Lab F2 is the best device under the $500 mark (it had great reviews so I bought it off amazon). Im mainly interested in hunting gold/silver jewelry and coins, but mostly gold jewelry. Should I return the F2 back and get a M/D with underwater capabilities? there are so many options! I think from my research, I definitely would like a VDI, at least 6" coil diameter and importantly, very light--I'm pretty petite and can't swing around a 5pound machine for long and risk looking like Popeye in one arm <laugh>.

I emailed and called the The Brooklyn Treasure Hunters club but the phone number was disconnect and email bounced back. If any fellow New Yaawkers like to reply with another association's info, I would great appreciate that.

I'm sure everyone knows this but you NEED a PERMIT to Metal Detect! wth! I'm still pissed off that I need a license to fish... an activity that mankind has engaged since the beginning of time, goodness! I can't you believe you need permission to look for stuff that people forgot about? What's next? the privatization of sunshine? sheesh!

In any case, again, hello to everyone and Im looking forward to being a part of this community. Any thoughts, advice, or stories that anyone would like to share would be great.

Nefratiri

(Jenny)

Welcome to an addictive hobby. Tony here from Long Island

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hello Nefratiri, Don't know anything about the F2, and I don't know how deep in the water you plan on going, but from what I've seen on here, an AT Pro might not be a bad choice if you don't plan on getting any deeper than 10 feet in the water. By the way,

Welcome to the addiction,
Bill

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York!

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from White Plains, New York!

I am from cortlandt manor ny..near peekskill..been doin some hunting on the shores o f hudson.. Found this cable under annsville bridge..wanted to keep boats(enemy) from goin up river.)i think

View attachment 722013

ForumRunner_20130106_155752.png

.had a mpx..hated it talked kellyco into upgrading me 4 -100.00 more to the minelab 305

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont worry about the looks and questions you will get. just smile and have fun. Water hunting is not my area, but would say buy what you can afford. I have considered a minelab myself, and hope to hear from other users about that one. I do use my VDI and with a good machine, it keeps you from wasting time if you are looking for just certain signals. Sorry to hear about the club, the cold months turn some people off for the year. No matter what you use, you cant find it if you dont walk over it. Good Luck.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Fell in love with New York when my sister lived on Pacific in Brooklyn, between the docks and the Ex-Lax factory, worked at Praeger Publishing in Manhattan and I went to visit her. Her friends said I had the cutest southern drawl, her boyfriend Joey Calandrino and his friends Bronco, Cheech and Flip said, "youse guys from Texas talk funny". Yeah, right.Loved the walkin pizza stores, Queens Pizzaria and I will always miss cannoli, always. Now for some advice. The old ball parks around Brooklyn looked good. One has gun implacements from WWII and all are soft dirt. Don't go late, but you usually will be safe. I wanted to do Prospect Park, but figured jail would be waiting. Just ignore people. You may want to try Conn. for a metal detecting group or upstate New York, although that would be farther away. Anywhere along a coastal waterway would be great because of the age of the area. Their are lots of places to try, but contacting a club is your best bet. Keep looking online. And develop a persona if you go alone. Something like, "Hey paisan, how'd you like me to come over there and stick this detector up you a$$"? Or maybe, when the whistling love chant of the construction worker starts, you could say from your petite little self, " Butta Bing, Butta Bang, somethin you ain't doin today buddy". Oh well, just a thought. Just have fun and find lots of treasure. You know it's there...

Dan

May 18, 2012
Yorktown Heights, NY
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Nef,

I just moved from the BX in the last year. Lots of good spots in NYC to hunt. I just got into hobby myself. I also purchased an F2. I have only hunted my backyard. I have only just gone through 1 set of batteries so far, but managed to pull 4 (3 rosies 1 merc)silver dimes a bunch of clad, skelton key and lots and lots of junk. Oddlly I have not found any nickels at all! I actually pulled most of the silver dimes before the only 2 wheaties I have found so far. I am still learning and have yet to make it out to the front yard.LOL The coil on the F2 can go under water not the whole unit, which should work in most situations. I think you should really learn the F2.. you have it already. I say after a 100 hours on it, you will really know it and maybe ready to grow out of it. I really think a lot of it is really knowing you detector more than what type of detector. I can attest it finds silver dimes in the least!! I will hopefully find a bunch more stuff once ground defrosts. So good luck and keep us posted on any finds.
Dan

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BINGHAMTON NY HERE, WELCOME ABOARD-------:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread