Anyone know of any farm fields worth detecting in Central NY?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Bobby
I live way out in the country and live alone, i got two pit bulls but they are lovers, you could stay at my house or camp for a couple of days you would be welcome ...my old huntin buddy is sending his Tesoro in to get it fixed he lives 1 mile from me in an old stagecoach stop... house built in 1830 it`s a good place to test a detector we been at it 23 years there, would like to see how a Vaq.does there.
From Owego to Elmira on RT 17/86 west 25 miles ?? Elmira to my house RT 14 North 22 miles i`m just north of Horseheads all most to Millport then in to the woods...walk out the front door and hunt with detector or gun ,start camp fire in the yard and cook out ...shoot gun/detect old King foundation in front yard detect eat at camp fire shoot gun...go 1/8 mile across the road and anoth old foundation there on my 1850 maps detect...i found the outhouse and i want to dig it so if you like that kind of stuff...old cabin sites that R NOT on my 1850 map...i think i have found the out house at one cabin sites...the guy has 100s of acers of land and i can dig the out house there too if i find some guys that like to dig and detect and shoot guns it`s all cool out here.

Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bobby
I live way out in the country and live alone, i got two pit bulls but they are lovers, you could stay at my house or camp for a couple of days you would be welcome ...my old huntin buddy is sending his Tesoro in to get it fixed he lives 1 mile from me in an old stagecoach stop... house built in 1830 it`s a good place to test a detector we been at it 23 years there, would like to see how a Vaq.does there.
Gary

That would be sweet. I would definitely enjoy a trip out there and stay for a while. Hopefully the weather starts to get better soon and stuff. We will plan somethin eventually. I would really like to see how my Vaquero does. I also have an old Whites Eagle Spectrum to bring along too

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ya winter is still holding strong but as soon as the weather breaks .. i tend to hunt the places that will be over grown and do`nt get plowed first....just so much land to hunt here in 23 years me and Jim haven`t touched 99 9/10 percent of what it holds...and i get into new places all the time.
i have just lined up a place that most likely was a camp site for the Indians or the British (there were 1200 at the Battle of Newtown) just south of Montour Falls (Queen Cathrine's Town) and most likely Sullivan`s Men camped there too.. it just make`s sense to me this place is going to be good i hope.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely seems like you have a lot of prime ground!

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,
do you probe for the privies? My brother and I are really getting into the bottle thing. We haven't dug a privy yet, but soon will. I plan on getting a probe. Any tips?

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary - I'm surprised ! I thought I would have converted you to water hunting! :)
Good to see ya on TNet my friend.
My story on the Houck's Silver half will be in the May issue of Western and Eastern Treasure magazine. (PG 39- 43) Be sure to check it out.

Bobby, I had the pleasure of hunting with Gary and his good friend Jim last year. We took them water hunting with our boat. We had a great time.
I highly recommend hunting with them. It is a beautiful area with lots of history.
I'm in Auburn.
Good luck guys,
Gary G.

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
Gary, our family (Cunningham) has about 90 some acres on the East side of King Rd. My wifes uncle Greg just had a prefab house built on his acreage for his daughter last year - about 15 yards off of the road...

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
I'm hoping to be up there this coming week! I'm in FL on a business trip and hunting Miami area beaches... I won't be seeing any bikini babes in the NY woods... Haha

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gary
Just so much more land to hunt for me but i will get a water machine someday... i will watch for your storie...and thanks for the kind words.
Gary

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes ce550
I know the place....and Corra Lee & Joe, used to live there.....i took the barn down next door....i`m a half mile from there and hunted the old foundation way down in the creek out back there....looking forward to meeting you .no bikini babes here to cold for them lol.
Stop up to 409 king road.
Gary

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
That's the place. You've already hunted the foundation that's up on the hillside across the creek? Glen didn't think anyone had been up there before. I thought I had virgin ground up there. =( I'll definitely have to stop by when I make my next trek up the hill. Syrup is being boiled in the Sugar Shack again tomorrow so our boy will be there helping out his uncles and Grandpa Glen.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gary - I'm surprised ! I thought I would have converted you to water hunting! :)
Good to see ya on TNet my friend.
My story on the Houck's Silver half will be in the May issue of Western and Eastern Treasure magazine. (PG 39- 43) Be sure to check it out.

Bobby, I had the pleasure of hunting with Gary and his good friend Jim last year. We took them water hunting with our boat. We had a great time.
I highly recommend hunting with them. It is a beautiful area with lots of history.
I'm in Auburn.
Good luck guys,
Gary G.
Hey Gary
I see your story in Westen and Eastern treasure Mag very well written and a great story could n`t happen to a nicer guy.
Jim and i had a ball water hunting and using your Minelab Xcal was the topps.... first time and i found three rings 2 junk and 1 14 K Gold.
Just being on the lake in you guys pontoon boat was a privilege we won`t soon forget..We cooked on the boat...had fun all day.
If any of you guys know of any old swimming holes let Gary know.
Gary i have found and old water park 1900 s... on the Chemung River had 3 major floods on that river sence the water park closed 1932,1945,and 1972 so i don`t know about finds let me know if you want to derectoins to the site easy to find.
Gary

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johunt
Yes we have a 4' spring steel, T handled probe...we can start in my privie

Gary,
I finally got to use my homemade probe today. Well, back during turkey season I happened upon an old car in the woods. Wouldn't ya' know it, 2 trunk springs! Cleaned up pretty nicely on a bench grinder.
So today a buddy asked me for help cleaning out a dry well in a parking lot. Yuck! The owner thought there was a clogged drainpipe @ the bottom, but after pumping out all the water and handing up 20+buckets of nasty decaying leaves we hit hardpan. No pipe! I probed just for good measure though! lol
If work wasn't tying me down 6 days a week, I'd surely enjoy taking a trip out to learn some stuff from ya.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Allegany County and like the posts.........Elmira has a Civil War POW camp.....also there are CCC camps around NY.........
The canals and railroads are other sites to consider.........

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Allegany County and like the posts.........Elmira has a Civil War POW camp.....also there are CCC camps around NY.........
The canals and railroads are other sites to consider.........

Hey doc,
like any treasure hunting, the need to gain permission is a must. It's my understanding that RR property is off limits to anyone. You probably know this, but I just wanted to clarify so any newcomers don't get arrested for tresspassing on RR property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread