Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie in Galway say's hello

I'm an old timer who has always had the treasure hunting bug but never pulled the trigger. Now that I'm retired I wanted to start so my wife bought me a Bounty Hunter IV for Christmas and I'm chomping at the bit to get started digging :laughing7:

I've been researching some historical sites here in Galway and hope to get permission to hunt the General Stimson farm site. Stimson owned about 800 acres back in the Revolutionary war days and rumor has it that Lafayette visited him there. On the farm there is a spring named Lafayette Spring so that is why many locals here believe Lafayette visited although it isn't documented. I would love to find something there that would be related to Lafayette........

I would like to hook up with others in my area to learn more about MTing and all types of treasure hunting. If anyone would like to get together shoot me a message. I'm planning on joining the ESMDA club as well. Any members out there?

Thanks,

Fast Ed

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME, IM EAST OF BINGHAMTON, NOT SURE WHERE GALWAY IS-----:hello:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Ed
Sounds interesting the Tracker IV is a good machine just understand the Owner`s Manual dig everything at first to learn the targets.
Gary

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME, IM EAST OF BINGHAMTON, NOT SURE WHERE GALWAY IS-----:hello:

Hi Tom, Thanks for the welcome. Galway is about 20 minutes West of Saratoga Springs.....I used to do the fire inspections at SUNY Binghamton when I worked for the state. Nice town, love the Speidies (spelling?)

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ed
Sounds interesting the Tracker IV is a good machine just understand the Owner`s Manual dig everything at first to learn the targets.
Gary

Hi Gary, Thanks, I plan on digging everything like you suggested fore sure until I figure things out. Hey Watkins Glen was one of my favorite spots back when I worked at The Montour Falls Fire Academy. Used to run the Basic program for paid fire fighters. Would fish the Catherine creek on my breaks.. Good times

Gi_Jungle

Aug 17, 2012
Glenville,NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites Spectrum XLT, Pro Pointer
I'm in gloversville and I've done some digging in your area no historical spots but I did pull a nice crotal bell and horseshoe from an old farm site right outside Galway. When spring hits I should have my at pro and xlt ready to go if you want a hunting buddy. Right now my father is using them in Oklahoma

Mr Don

Greenie
Jun 1, 2012
Amsterdam, New York
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fast Ed , I am from Amsterdam and have been detecting for about a year. I too have always had the bug but never took action. Last year I picked up a new MXT Pro, and have been having a ton of fun. When the weather breaks and your ready to get out let me know and I'll be happy to join you.
Hope to talk to you soon
Don

popspbmc

Feb 6, 2013
Amsterdam NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Ed
I am also in Amsterdam I hope to have my Garrett 550 ready for spring. I got it used so I am new to this also.

Al/Lindley

Greenie
Jul 20, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ed
I lived in Galway for a number of years and am now in the Southern Tier I went up to the Barkerville Church last summer and found some coins and a small gold cross. As I look back I wonder what it would be like to MD at the old Homestead Infirmary, near the four churches in the township or on the original property that the second Baptist Church was originally started on. I believe it was on Mack road and in the 1700's a guy called Elias Stillwell who was a deacon, donated land to the church for a building. They built one and later (1789) came to town and built the one that is there.
It was a great place, I'd love to spend some time up there. Good luck!

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ed
I lived in Galway for a number of years and am now in the Southern Tier I went up to the Barkerville Church last summer and found some coins and a small gold cross. As I look back I wonder what it would be like to MD at the old Homestead Infirmary, near the four churches in the township or on the original property that the second Baptist Church was originally started on. I believe it was on Mack road and in the 1700's a guy called Elias Stillwell who was a deacon, donated land to the church for a building. They built one and later (1789) came to town and built the one that is there.
It was a great place, I'd love to spend some time up there. Good luck!

Hi Al, yup, the church is located on the Stilwell farm @ #29 Mack road. I hope to get permission to hunt all the old churches in Galway as well as the villiage park. If your ever in the area drop me a PM :)

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Ed
I am also in Amsterdam I hope to have my Garrett 550 ready for spring. I got it used so I am new to this also.

Nice to meetcha pops!

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonie here, right on the Schenectady Line....

Hey JOeL, nice to meetcha! Moved from Colonie to Galway about 10 years ago.....Loudonville about 5 minutes from Siena..

silverseated

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2011
upstate new york
Detector(s) used
minelab-e-trac....at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey there, welcome !!!/.........im from mechanicville, and work in saratoga,always looking for friends to hunt with...............im so ready to break out the e-trac this year, woulnt mind being a forth wheel..........lol.........ive done alot of research over the years,and can help you learn your new mechine.im rick...aka sliverseated.

upstatedetector

Jul 21, 2009
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5
Hi Ed. My family has a few camps on Galway Lake. I live in Schenectady and grew up in a historic home in Glenville. I don't detect that much these days but I stop in to admire the finds and saw a few of your great finds. I drive by the Stimson property all the time.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey upstate - was at Stimson yesterday with a newbie friend who found a nice brass Cote make up compact from the 1940's but I got nadda :)

With the hot weather I'll probably try some water hunting on the lake. Do you have family at Rubacks grove?
Hi Ed. My family has a few camps on Galway Lake. I live in Schenectady and grew up in a historic home in Glenville. I don't detect that much these days but I stop in to admire the finds and saw a few of your great finds. I drive by the Stimson property all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread