All Treasure Hunting
Re: How Many Western NY'rs Are here ?

Near Gowanda ;D

captaincrunch

May 26, 2008

Westfield NY in chataqua county

New to the site ;D

Do you know anything about the treasure in the Gorge here?

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

Welcome Cap'n!!! The treasure in the gorge is a very interesting tale for sure, but you may spend a lifetime and never find it. I also like the story of the silver chopper which crashed off Westfield in the lake. Good luck to you!!!! If you need help haulin' that treasure I'm just south of Jamestown :thumbsup:

Greg

captaincrunch

May 26, 2008

Thanks ;D

Do you know of any websites that has those legends or stories on it.

Also, if you know any other stories please post them :thumbsup:

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As of 2 days ago, Oswego.

I uprooted from SW AZ and did the "Grapes of Wrath" move all the way here. Hell of a change. I am looking forward to being able to sink my digger into this nice soft moist soil instead of having to use a pick ax in caliche, rocky dirt.

By the way, anybody know about Oswego's rules on detecting in city parks? I know the fort is off limits but perhaps not the ball field right next door!

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

jernigan00 said:
As of 2 days ago, Oswego.

By the way, anybody know about Oswego's rules on detecting in city parks? I know the fort is off limits but perhaps not the ball field right next door!

Did you have wind damage? Would be a terrible welcome for ya.

The ballfield is part of the grounds. It's where the buildings were for the refugees during WWII. The fort folks get mighty persnickity about md'ing anywhere in the area, hence the sign at the entrance to the fort. But there are areas around Oswego that were right in the thick of things during the battles(17th&18th century). Just ask permission.

Good luck and by the way, try "Rudy's" for a great fish sandwich.

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

8)
Thanks Tricia.

When the storm hit we were still staying at the motel......though we were driving around in it like a couple of dumb tourists. Our second day here and were saying to each other "is this normal for here? What did we get ourselves into moving here?".

Anyways I can't wait to get some swinging time in up here. I'm amazed at all the old homes in town and around. Are there any laws against detecting the city parks or areas of grass right near the street curb or do I need permission from the city, etc?

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Not sure. Just flat out ask if in doubt.

My experiences in the area were always private property where the owners said yes.

Or along the shoreline but it's mostly rock. Found oodles of old fish hooks that must have gotten stuck in the rocks on the backside of a cast. LOL

Yeah, the weather there can be sunny and happy one minute and KABLAM storm roles in the next minute. You may hear stories about there being tie lines at the college because the winter winds blow hard and the students can't walk the pathways to the buildings. GOOD story. Not true. However when I was in school up there I can vouch for having skinny friends that always held on to my hefty frame on windy days. It can be seriously intense wind raging off that lake.

But OMG, the sunsets....wow. Set up your chairs along the cliff at the fort and just watch the colors dance in the sky at dusk.

Good luck, have fun. Avoid the Harborfest at all costs unless you enjoy massive drunken crowds. Go out of town that weekend. LMAO

papajos

Feb 11, 2009

Desert rat-currently in Livingston/Genesee county near York. New to this hobby, always hunting spots to MD.

Malox

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2008
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Ace 250

Seneca Castle, Ontario Co. here, moving to Hammond NY St.Lawrence Co. soon, where I will be clueless on place to detect. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread