Public areas in Central NY w/ potential ? HELP!!!

Shawn1972

Mar 26, 2013
Oneida Lake NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - hoping to own a few more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if anyone has detected any public areas and or easily accessible sites in and around the central NY area that have produced,or still may hold promise/potential ?

Areas that have been good for me in the past years have since been posted or i can no longer gain access to them,and i totally understand if one would be reluctant to give up any promising hot spots.I have a 4yr old daughter & her 12yr old step brother that I'd like get excited about this hobby,but in the past year that has been quite difficult to do when all they were digging up was trash.I have explained(or at least tried) that although we are not finding exciting things,we are still cleaning up the trash in these areas which is a good thing to do,but it just doesn't fly with them nor does it keep them interested in a hobby that i love and enjoy regardless if I myself finds anything.

I'm posting this mostly for the 12yr old boy and myself because trying to find things in common has been very challenging due to the fact that I'm not his father(i believe),and I'm starting to feel like just a stranger to him which I fear is becoming detrimental as far as our relationship with one another goes.

so,i would be truly ecstatic & grateful if a few leads come from this
TY for reading and your help

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shawn,
What you're doing is great. There's nothing wrong with asking for help. Regardless if you're the boys' biological father or not, you can still be his Dad.
I can't really direct you to a specific spot, but an evening spent scouring old historcal maps can reveal alot of historical activity. Once you've nailed down a few possible "old homesteads" then compare them to modern arial maps and go door knocking.
Fishing spots, sports fields, and parks are usually good for some clad coins and possibly older stuff.

I have so many hobbies nowadays and I'm always switching up so I don't get burnt out on one thing. I'm not detecting to become rich or anything, but rather to enjoy/ learn history. I also hunt, fish, pick wild mushrooms, search for native American artifacts, dig for old bottles, Etc.
You could try to incorporate other hobbies to get them more interested in history.
Good luck and happy hunting

OP
OP
Shawn1972

Shawn1972

Mar 26, 2013
Oneida Lake NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx JOHUNT,ill try other type related hobbies,have to do some research and such

thank you again for suggestions

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shawn,
I don't hunt much land anymore, but you could go to Sylvan Beach.
My Aunt scooped out a nice 10 K band where the water meets the shore. It was right next to the public parking lot about 50 feet onto the beach.
Lots of coins also.
HH
GG

OP
OP
Shawn1972

Shawn1972

Mar 26, 2013
Oneida Lake NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for your input,after i posted i re read and felt this post might have been too heavy of a subject matter to post in the first place,and was to late to back out of the thread.

but none the less thanks again for the help

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're all adults here and not here to pass judgements. As I said before I think it's great that you're wanting to find things to do with your kids. My fiance and I cannot have children due to medical reasons although we wish we could, so please do all you can for your kids and cherish every moment with them.
There must be spots to detect up there. You could post questions about your research if you need more info and maybe someone could help you out.
The warmer weather should bring more activity to the forum. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions