Looking for hunting buddies in NYC

OP
OP
Devinediva111

Devinediva111

Apr 29, 2013
Hi, how often do you go out detecting? I would like to join you on one of your up & coming hunts

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm a newbie to metal detecting & I live in the new york city area. I'm looking for detecting buddies that likes to hunt.

I live in westchester county, a little north of white plains, maybe we can get together, although we are about 45 -to 1 hr apart

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the new york city area also.

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool I am going to be moving to SI soon.

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live in Brooklyn, sadly our MD laws are a bit rough here in nyc so I don't get to go out much to dig

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live in Brooklyn, sadly our MD laws are a bit rough here in nyc so I don't get to go out much to dig

I am currently in brooklyn too. I read thouse laws they are rough.

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently in brooklyn too. I read thouse laws they are rough.

Yea its a shame lots of history to dig, but you can only dig where they want and when they want. After getting a Ace 350 last year and the licence to metal detect for the year it wasn't worth it with the handful of parks they let you hunt on. Shame though from the few times I went out to some parks in my area I was getting lucky and hitting silver. The hassle was just not worth it going late at night to sneak some digging in the local parks because they were not on the list.

Decided my next detector would probably be a salt water one to hit coney island, could be worth it with the amount of people that swim there.

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea its a shame lots of history to dig, but you can only dig where they want and when they want. After getting a Ace 350 last year and the licence to metal detect for the year it wasn't worth it with the handful of parks they let you hunt on. Shame though from the few times I went out to some parks in my area I was getting lucky and hitting silver. The hassle was just not worth it going late at night to sneak some digging in the local parks because they were not on the list.

Decided my next detector would probably be a salt water one to hit coney island, could be worth it with the amount of people that swim there.

That's what I got a Garrett Ace 350. I went to coney yesterday to test out the detector. More like play around with it. Yep your right about that where they want and when they want. What do you think about Prospect park anything there?

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about New Jersey?

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I got a Garrett Ace 350. I went to coney yesterday to test out the detector. More like play around with it. Yep your right about that where they want and when they want. What do you think about Prospect park anything there?

Prospect park is definitely a great place to dig, unfortunately it has been hit hard over the years and is the biggest reason they put out so many laws on metal detecting. This part does hurt you especially in prospect park:

"Probing or digging is strictly prohibited within 25 feet or the drip line of the tree, whichever is greater, and in the following areas: Ball-fields, manicured lawns, newly seeded lawns, flower bed/gardens, Woodlands, Native Vegetation Areas, or any other area restricted by signage."

Which always sounded to me like everywhere in a park especially ones like prospect park haha.

Jersey from what I read is great for detecting on these boards, but if I had a car Id definitely rather go out to Long island if I were you.

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospect park is definitely a great place to dig, unfortunately it has been hit hard over the years and is the biggest reason they put out so many laws on metal detecting. This part does hurt you especially in prospect park:

"Probing or digging is strictly prohibited within 25 feet or the drip line of the tree, whichever is greater, and in the following areas: Ball-fields, manicured lawns, newly seeded lawns, flower bed/gardens, Woodlands, Native Vegetation Areas, or any other area restricted by signage."

Which always sounded to me like everywhere in a park especially ones like prospect park haha.

Jersey from what I read is great for detecting on these boards, but if I had a car Id definitely rather go out to Long island if I were you.

Yes I did read that I thought the same too "Where the hell I am going to MD at there? What they are saying is "keep away". I could go to Long Island but don't know where to go.

Last edited:

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
I live in brooklyn and have a beach house in the rockaways where i hunt on the beach :) Always looking for other people to hunt with

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in brooklyn and have a beach house in the rockaways where i hunt on the beach :) Always looking for other people to hunt with

Cool I went the other day there just found a couple of clad coins. I would not mind checking it out there again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread