Anyone know any good areas in Long Island?

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone know any good areas in Long Island?

There are plenty of good areas on Long Island . I live on Long Island , I use Google maps and look for schools and parks in the older towns . I hit these areas and always come home with at least a pocket full of spending change and occasionally jewelry . If you get the New York State metal detecting permit ($40 at Belmont State Park Headquarters) , it allows you to metal detect at the NYS Parks and beaches on the Island (Jones Beach , Heckscher Park , Sunken Meadow etc) . I don't know what part of the island you are on but there are places like the hiking trails in Massapequa that run from Merrick Rd miles to the north , the hiking trails on the north side of what used to be Pilgrim State Hospital . I grew up near and still leave near what used to be a privately owned airport and is now mostly an industrial area , I have dug there a bit and found older coins . If you know of any open fields where they have carnivals in the summer is always a good spot . I know of a few , one being on Montauk Hwy in Islip . I could go on and on and this would wind up being pages long . Start with Google maps and start with your town and work from there out . You will find many places to go . I have run in to school security guards in a few towns when I hunt the schoolyards , as long at you don't ruin anything and leave it the way you found it they will leave you alone . When you leave holes they will kick you out for good . Good luck , let me know how you make out .

Last edited:
OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of good areas on Long Island . I live on Long Island , I use Google maps and look for schools and parks in the older towns . I hit these areas and always come home with at least a pocket full of spending change and occasionally jewelry . If you get the New York State metal detecting permit ($40 at Belmont State Park Headquarters) , it allows you to metal detect at the NYS Parks and beaches on the Island (Jones Beach , Heckscher Park , Sunken Meadow etc) . I don't know what part of the island you are on but there are places like the hiking trails in Massapequa that run from Merrick Rd miles to the north , the hiking trails on the north side of what used to be Pilgrim State Hospital . I grew up near and still leave near what used to be a privately owned airport and is now mostly an industrial area , I have dug there a bit and found older coins . If you know of any open fields where they have carnivals in the summer is always a good spot . I know of a few , one being on Montauk Hwy in Islip . I could go on and on and this would wind up being pages long . Start with Google maps and start with your town and work from there out . You will find many places to go . I have run in to school security guards in a few towns when I hunt the schoolyards , as long at you don't ruin anything and leave it the way you found it they will leave you alone . When you leave holes they will kick you out for good . Good luck , let me know how you make out .

I have to get that permit.

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to get that permit.

It will pay for itself . Just remember , during the summer the NYS beaches and parks charge a parking fee which is about $10 . I also purchased the Empire State Passport , that costs $65 and you can buy it at the same place as the metal detecting permit . It gives you entry in to all NYS parks and beaches statewide .

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will pay for itself . Just remember , during the summer the NYS beaches and parks charge a parking fee which is about $10 . I also purchased the Empire State Passport , that costs $65 and you can buy it at the same place as the metal detecting permit . It gives you entry in to all NYS parks and beaches statewide .

Great thanks for the info man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread