Anyone know any good areas in Long Island?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Silver & Gold

Jun 2013
    New York
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

us
    Feb 2009
    Lindenhurst NY
    Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
    27 times
    NY Mets , Islanders , Knicks , St John's basketball , metal detecting , driving trips and more
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonCorn View Post
    There are plenty of good areas on Long Island . I live on Long Island , I use Google maps and look for schools and parks in the older towns . I hit these areas and always come home with at least a pocket full of spending change and occasionally jewelry . If you get the New York State metal detecting permit ($40 at Belmont State Park Headquarters) , it allows you to metal detect at the NYS Parks and beaches on the Island (Jones Beach , Heckscher Park , Sunken Meadow etc) . I don't know what part of the island you are on but there are places like the hiking trails in Massapequa that run from Merrick Rd miles to the north , the hiking trails on the north side of what used to be Pilgrim State Hospital . I grew up near and still leave near what used to be a privately owned airport and is now mostly an industrial area , I have dug there a bit and found older coins . If you know of any open fields where they have carnivals in the summer is always a good spot . I know of a few , one being on Montauk Hwy in Islip . I could go on and on and this would wind up being pages long . Start with Google maps and start with your town and work from there out . You will find many places to go . I have run in to school security guards in a few towns when I hunt the schoolyards , as long at you don't ruin anything and leave it the way you found it they will leave you alone . When you leave holes they will kick you out for good . Good luck , let me know how you make out .
    Last edited by Don57; Jun 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

us
    Silver & Gold

Jun 2013
    New York
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Don57 View Post

There are plenty of good areas on Long Island . I live on Long Island , I use Google maps and look for schools and parks in the older towns . I hit these areas and always come home with at least a pocket full of spending change and occasionally jewelry . If you get the New York State metal detecting permit ($40 at Belmont State Park Headquarters) , it allows you to metal detect at the NYS Parks and beaches on the Island (Jones Beach , Heckscher Park , Sunken Meadow etc) . I don't know what part of the island you are on but there are places like the hiking trails in Massapequa that run from Merrick Rd miles to the north , the hiking trails on the north side of what used to be Pilgrim State Hospital . I grew up near and still leave near what used to be a privately owned airport and is now mostly an industrial area , I have dug there a bit and found older coins . If you know of any open fields where they have carnivals in the summer is always a good spot . I know of a few , one being on Montauk Hwy in Islip . I could go on and on and this would wind up being pages long . Start with Google maps and start with your town and work from there out . You will find many places to go . I have run in to school security guards in a few towns when I hunt the schoolyards , as long at you don't ruin anything and leave it the way you found it they will leave you alone . When you leave holes they will kick you out for good . Good luck , let me know how you make out .
    I have to get that permit.

us
    Feb 2009
    Lindenhurst NY
    Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
    27 times
    NY Mets , Islanders , Knicks , St John's basketball , metal detecting , driving trips and more
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonCorn View Post
    I have to get that permit.
    It will pay for itself . Just remember , during the summer the NYS beaches and parks charge a parking fee which is about $10 . I also purchased the Empire State Passport , that costs $65 and you can buy it at the same place as the metal detecting permit . It gives you entry in to all NYS parks and beaches statewide .

us
    Silver & Gold

Jun 2013
    New York
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
    It will pay for itself . Just remember , during the summer the NYS beaches and parks charge a parking fee which is about $10 . I also purchased the Empire State Passport , that costs $65 and you can buy it at the same place as the metal detecting permit . It gives you entry in to all NYS parks and beaches statewide .
    Great thanks for the info man.

Jul 2013
    20 times
    I live in dyker if you r looking to hunt the coney island brighton beaches let me know.

Sponsored Links