looking for places to metal detect

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm kinda new to this area I live right out side of Dryden ny. I'm getting back into this hobby been abt 3 years since I last did it...hoping someone can help me find some areas I can go...looking around Dryden Harford Cortland Ithaca freeville and any surrounding towns near by... I would greatly appreciate thank you.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research!
I haven't hunted up your way, but there's plenty of history around here. Put some time in checking out old maps. Don't forget to always get permission from the landowners or you could be arrested and never find any treasure!

OP
OP
jbbj

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can I find old maps at online? I found a couple but its just for in towns and I cant find any for outside towns. I have permission to metal detect on 81 acres of woods that has old stone wall on it but I cant find any olds maps for around there. Its right outside the town of Hartford.

OP
OP
jbbj

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the map help found what I was looking for...just have one q now...the numbers under the name what is that?

OP
OP
jbbj

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus I tried looking up the name from the map and can't find anything from the first letter and full last name typed in the name year and town in Google nothing comes close...am I doing this wrong?

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're doing good. I believe the numbers either describe how many acres are in that lot or just a reference # for the plat map. Sometimes info on the named landowner is limited so you just have to search harder. I often use another site which is all about historic newspapers. Just enter the name & town and hit search. Here's the site Old Fulton NY Post Cards
Or try this search in google- " Persons name history of Town For example: Jonathan Cafferty history of Dryden.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread