Sacandaga Lake area?

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Anyone here close to the sacandaga lake area? I hear they are draining it this year lower then its been in a long time. There is several communities that were flooded back in 1930. Any coins found around those old cellar holes that is bigger then a nickle will more then likely be silver. Batchellarville was founded in the mid to late 1700's so there's some potential there for decent finds. Swizzle

staceysallaboutu

Jul 9, 2006
Fonda, New York
Detector(s) used
White xlt/Minelab Quattro
I usally detect there every fall. On the Northville side.I have gotten alot of nice old coins from there I Live in Fonda which is about 35 to 45 minites from there..

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
They are already draining it down. Its not as low as I'd like it to be but it's getting there. Stacysallaboutu have you tried any detecting on the edinburg side? I'm not sure about any decent places to go on the Northville side until the water goes down and the amusement park starts to show. If they drain it down that low. I've detected on northampton, edinburg and broadalbin beaches and once in mayfield but the guy that owns the camp/house at the end of the roadway wants $5 to park. I actually live on the outskirts of amsterdam. Maybe we could get a small group hunt going sometime. I have 2 detectors and would probably bring the wifey along with my 3 year old son for a few hours. It looks like it'll be a couple more weeks before its all open though. The lake is still frozen solid and the only spots that are open are only good down to about an inch and then its solid frost. Let me know what you think. Swizzle

staceysallaboutu

Jul 9, 2006
Fonda, New York
Detector(s) used
Hey swizzle,

I was just up to the lake this past week. I got a few more wheats from the 50's at a old swimmin hole i know off bunkerhill rd just before you get to Northampton. The lake was down good before this storm I'm sure it has some more water in it now. Sounds great to get together sometime. My son (13) and daughter (12) usually come with me and do some of the digging my wife and older daughter (17) are not likely to come. They are allergic to dirty nails.

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
staceysallaboutu said:
Hey swizzle,

I was just up to the lake this past week. I got a few more wheats from the 50's at a old swimmin hole i know off bunkerhill rd just before you get to Northampton. The lake was down good before this storm I'm sure it has some more water in it now. Sounds great to get together sometime. My son (13) and daughter (12) usually come with me and do some of the digging my wife and older daughter (17) are not likely to come. They are allergic to dirty nails.
I AM in Albany... If anyone wants to plan a hunt up there im game. I am sure my father is also...

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
The place that I was talking about I think is off of bunkerhill road. Its a short drive down in and the guy was kinda wacky, like he was gonna call the cops if we didn't pay him $5 to park in the little dead end parking spot. If its the same spot then its the place where I got an Indian Head penny and a V nickle and my buddy got a metal bank tag for broadalbin bank in front of the foundation. Its quite a walk out there to the flat spot where the foundation is and it looks like a big horseshoe driveway. The lake is definately on the rise now. I got a few relics from the Edinburg Beach which use to be batchellerville. Nothing great but some interesting stuff. as far as I know the dam is now fixed and the water will contnue to rise. I just hope they drop it again this year but it doesn't look good. as far as hooking up a trip let me do a little map work and some footwork and maybe we can get a small crew going on a cellar hole if you guys are interested? I'll bring the video camera and make a decent video of our little adventure and download it to youtube for all to see. Swizzle

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hey gang,

Watch your step if you are wandering around in the shallows near Broadalbin...There are open shafts and you could become submerged in a basement...I remember seeing them when I was a kid and we went swimming there. My Uncle Ed (dec'd) told me about a time when they completely drained the lake to fix the dam. He said there were 6 foot Northerns and Carp that you would never believe...if you ever hooked one of them and they didn't move you would figure you were snagged on a rock. Too bad I didn't know about metal detecting when I was a kid in NY!

Have you guys ever thought about checking out the old Erie Canel (Mohawk River)? Remember they used to pull flat boats up and down the river with mules...I'd bet they lost some stuff along there.

Do they still have the Fonda Fair? I used to go every year...those were the days.

Prober (Bob)

staceysallaboutu

Jul 9, 2006
Fonda, New York
Detector(s) used
swizzle

getting together sounds great they drain the Lake enough every fall to hit the beaches and some of the old foundations. But if you would like to get together on a old celler hole or something let me know, im game.

Hey prober

Yep the Fonda Fair is still running every year. Its the same year after year.

Stacey

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
The locals have been battling with the Hudson River Black River Board about the lake levels. The HRBRB has been draining the lake down every year and taking advantage of the power generated by the dam and selling the power. Some of the locals claim that the low lake levels kill the bass beds and the vegetation that the little minnows hide in and basically killing the lake while lining their pockets. So last year they kept the lake up to record high levels and it caused wide spread damage all around the lake. There were boats and docks and trees and all kinds of stuff floating down to the dam. I think the high lake level maybe why the dam had some problems. Right now its hard to say if they plan on maintaining the high lake levels or if they will find a happy medium. I would be happy with high lake levels until the tourist finish dropping their rings and jewelry and head back south and then dropped it in the fall. That's why I was suggesting an old cellar hole just in case the lake continues to rise and doesn't go back down for a while. The transmission in my car is going and I gotta get some new tires on my other car and figure out whats wrong with that one. Once I get everything all straighten out I'll be able to check out a few cellar holes that are up a fairly step hill. There are several mill sites and cellar holes close together. About a 10 minute drive from the batchellorville bridge. As far as the fonda fair goes, yes its still running and the last time I was there I got a really good laugh. There was a kid about 11 or 12 running with 2 large drinks and he was yelling "DAD HELP ME!!" The whole crowd that was in the stands turned to look at the kid as his pants fell down around his ankles and he wasn't wearing any unders. The whole crowd burst out laughing and pointing and he wouldn't put those drinks down for nothing. He just kept doing his penguin waddle just as fast as he could mooning the whole crowd as he went. Swizzle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread