Detecting in a New York State Forest

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a good question. I have done it. Do it. Will do it again. I have never sought out permission, and that's probably a mistake. I figure any spot that allows camping gets no more damage from me than the tentstakes of campers. I have never been confronted. I've never even seen another person in a couple of the spots I frequent.

I have a friend that's a DEC officer and I will ask him if he knows of any rules or problems with metal detecting on state lands.

OP
OP
Woody14

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
That would be greatly appreciated Charlie P. I would really like to detect this area, and im a little worried if i call the DEC directly they person I talk with may not be sure on the law and give me a NO just for that fact. I have dealt with them before on other issues, and had that happen.
Thanks again :)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
This not advise... just a fact. My father has detected in NYS parks, as have I, since the 70s. Never had an issue, never asked to leave, and thats wih park rangers right there asking how it's going.

I do feel the rules have tightened... and have not hunted in NY since 1995.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Just as a precaution I contacted my local forest rangers office and explained what I meant to do. The ranger said no problem, just don't leave any signs. I keep his name in my wallet just in case, but so far have had no issues. So I would say that any NY forest should be treated the same.
Greg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my reply:

Basically you can't remove anything from sate land. I don't think anyone would bother someone on the beach with a metal dtector but I guess they could. New York has a law, I confess I am not very familiar with, that protects historic sites. I guess the biggest problem is with people taking things from old shipwrecks. So, I suppose if you found a valuable item on state land or waters, maybe even off, that has some historical significance you could be in real trouble.

I asked him how about small game and deer from sites that allow hunting on game lands? He's checking. Leave a bullet & come back later and dig a coin. Very symmetrical. ;)

westernNY

Greenie
Nov 26, 2005
Check with local NYS Park offices and see if a permit is required - here in western NY a permit to detect in Allegany State Park and a number of other nearby parks can be obtained for detecting from Sept 15th through I believe May 15th. for / was ten dollars a season. Been detecting at least eight to ten years in the park systems and have yet to be asked to see my permit. Have witnessed during this time people ruining it for the legal folks going in a day early - knowing well they were wrong.
Federal lands avoid unless you want to donate your detector - car and what ever artifacts you have in your house to the Goverment. If caught there nasty and within the law.
Good luck in the park systems.

westernNY

Greenie
Nov 26, 2005
for got - I believe part of the agreement for a park permit is telling them you found something of valued over ten dollars - lol - good luck on your penny hunts lol

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
You'd have to check with the ranger, I imagine. Look up the forest area on the net, they might have something on their page about it.

If you're at all interested in state parks, here's the link for FMDAC and regs for all 50 states.

http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread