Adirondack Mountains

sharanne1118

Greenie
Jan 29, 2011
East Rochester, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone explain to me why the Adirondack's are not geologically suitable to have any gold? I know that Gold is found in New Hampshire, Vermont, PA and Canada. I know that the Abitibi-Grenville belt extends into the Adirondack lowlands. But I no one has been able to explain why it's impossible for gold to be found. I know about NYS mineral rights laws which say's NYS owns all the mineral rights, but if anyone can give me a simple scientific reason why it's impossible that gold can be found in New York State, I would greatly appreciate it!

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
It is NOT impossible. There are areas of the Adirondacks in which "flour" gold can be found. It's just not worth the hassle of being caught looking for it.

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dont hear of any gold finds or storys in new york state because by sum twisted law says what ever gold or silver you dig up belongs to the state!!!! So either u have to turn it over to NY or...... " put it back where u found it" lol

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a firm believer of gold in NY!!!! How can there not be? The state was covered in Glacier!!

UpstateCacheHunter

Nov 21, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre with a Garrett pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is placer gold in New York. There are videos on YouTube of people finding gold in NY. The quantity doesn't appear to be worth the effort you would have to put in t find it. Also, **** new York and their constant raping of its people. If you find gold, keep it. I know if i found a nugget or enough for a nice paycheck there is no way in the world I would give it to this awful state.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
That area is geologically different that the rest of the mountains out east. Very young (5 MY) in its tectonic formation. Gold could very well be forming in it now, at depth, associated with the current uplifting process. Come back in about 50-100 million years find lode when it starts to erode out, and find placer a for 10's of millions of years after that :D

It takes a long time for hydrothermal deposits to accumulate by concentrating minerals from crustal materials of average concentrations undergoing tectonics.

The Adirondack Dome

The Adirondack Mountains are very different in shape and content from other mountain systems. Unlike elongated ranges like the Rockies and the Appalachians, the Adirondacks form a circular dome, 160 miles wide and 1 mile high. Although the Dome as we know it today is a relatively recent development, having emerged about 5 million years ago, it is made of ancient rocks more than a 1,000 million years old. Hence, the Adirondacks are "new mountains from old rocks."

Adirondack Park Geology

Geological History of Adirondacks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions