Need help

vinnie

Oct 31, 2013
I found an old coin not sure what it is it has ridges on the top and bottom of the coin and it's a little smaller then a quarter. The date is either 1881 or 1861. Any info would be great ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429650460.183182.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429650485.064957.jpg

OP
OP
vinnie

vinnie

Oct 31, 2013
I also found a shield nickle in the same area. 1878.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what that is... Lol. Is it a good find?

They were made between 1864 and 1872. Is is a good find?? That is up to the finder. Many hunters have never found a coin that old, and many have never found a two cent piece, and many would love to find one. Yours looks to be in poor shape so it has little monetary value, but to many monetary value has no bearing on what they deem a good find. Some folks are tickled pink to find rusty old axe heads or the brass ends of old shotgun shells or even modern bullets. To me these things are all junk and I throw them out, just my preference. Some folks (mostly beach hunters) only get turned on by gold and silver jewelry and don't care about modern coins, others have paid for their machines with modern coins they have found. I am tickled to find old coins in good condition, jewelry, and interesting relics of non ferrous metal. Wheat cents don't do much for me either, but many love to find them, it is all what the individual hunter finds cool or desirable. So if you really like finding an old poor condition coin it is definitely a good find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vinnie

vinnie

Oct 31, 2013
I'm not into the value as much as the hunt... I agree it is a good find its my oldest so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread