Long Island N.Y. : are permits required?

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Long Island N.Y. : are permits required?

Ray, all areas seem to have their own rules. She should contact city hall and ask if detecting is allowed in all the parks and if a permit is needed. It would be best if she wrote them as then they'd write back and she'd have the info in writing. I don't think a permit is needed, but check anyway.

Give her the TNet address and have her visit.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Sandman said:
Ray, all areas seem to have their own rules. She should contact city hall and ask if detecting is allowed in all the parks and if a permit is needed. It would be best if she wrote them as then they'd write back and she'd have the info in writing. I don't think a permit is needed, but check anyway.

Give her the TNet address and have her visit.

Thanks for the input, Sandman, but my life would be so much easier if my niece had a computer. But unfortunately she is computer-less at the moment. That is why Uncle Ray is doing the leg work for her.

Have told her to check with the local parks department and ask about permits. She will be returning to FL in July and I will have a hunting partner for a while. ( I will also get to play with her Ace 250 )

HH

willie3960

May 29, 2006
Long Isliand N.Y.
Detector(s) used
DFX .MXT.

Hi Ray I live in suffolk yes you need a permit for county parks its a green key card for suffolk county parks. information # is 631 244 7275. they can give more info cost is 25$ good for 3 years. an there is a N.Y. state park permit also.25$ good for 1 year.#631 669 1000.hope this helps.

CodyCat Borat

Jan 15, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra-50, Whites classic 2

willie3960 said:
Hi Ray I live in suffolk yes you need a permit for county parks its a green key card for suffolk county parks. information # is 631 244 7275. they can give more info cost is 25$ good for 3 years. an there is a N.Y. state park permit also.25$ good for 1 year.#631 669 1000.hope this helps.

I'm confused here.
county is $25 for 3 years and state is $20 for 1 year?
They used to be, and should be free.

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar

I just went to Belmont Lake state Park exit 37 north big white Mansion.....you will see permits sign,
go in 20 bucks and you're done.

they give you a booklet of maps and send you a card she said......
expires at the end of calender year.

no one ever bothered me on the beach but for in the wooded parks I wanted to have it.

deadringer

Jan 20, 2004
Lindenhurst, NY

im in suffolk county but some of my favorite spots are in nassau on the north shore, any idea where i can get the nassau county permit?

Bob Z.

Oct 29, 2005
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
MXT, GROUNDHOG ,MAASTERHUNTER 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thougnt that you can only hunt with a $10.00 permit on the beach only,and you can only do that after Labor day. Bob

PDJ

Jul 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Whites DFX 300

Ok -- how about this -- Does anyone know how it works for example if you walk the beach starting at a public beach (town, for ex.) and continue on in front of private property, below the mean high water mark. I have always been under the assumption that below the mean high water level is ok. Any thoughts??

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300

YES. You need a (Metal Detector Permit) Thanks to the STATE of New York, allways Looking on a way to TAKE YOUR MONEY................... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Hi,

I just got my metal detecting permit for the state parks on Long Island yesterday. Drive to exit 37N off the Southern State Pkwy and you'll see a sign for the state park police/state administration offices, follow that. Go to the big white building and follow the sign for the permit office, it's to the right. When you enter the building the permit office is on the first floor, first door on the right. Permit is $20.00 and expires on the 31st of Dec., then you have to renew. The permit is only good for some of the parks on Long Island. You're supposed to turn in anything more than $10.00 in value.

I'd stay off private property unless you get permission from the owner.

Sue

ikes4ever

Nov 27, 2007
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1000 and DFX

so you need a $20 permit for state parks. does anyone know about suffolk county or any of the local towns with there metal detector permits ???

stewball1

Mar 25, 2005
Huntington, LI, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX & Minelab SE Pro

For Suffolk County residents, $20 for a Green Key card ($9 for 60 and over). Don't ask the towns as none of them have any rules that I know of. They look at you like your crazy at the town halls when you ask.

Stew

PDJ

Jul 27, 2007
Detector(s) used

Anyone find anything lately? Now I know why nobody posts anything cool found in NY.

THEBELLI

Nov 28, 2007
LONG ISLAND NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
CLASSIC ID5 WHITES

SHHHH NOT FOR EVEYONE MY FRIEND IS THE CHIEF OF SUFFOLK CTY PARKS POLICE (TOP KNOT ON THE ROPE) HE STATED AND I
QUOTE 99 PERCENT OF ALL MDERS ARE WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES AND UNLESS THEY ARE MORONS OR LEAVE THE PLACE LOOKING LIKE A MINE FIELD THE MOST THEY WILL BOTHER U FOR IS TO SEE WHAT U FIND AND THATS JUST BEING CURIOUS HAVE FUN BE SAFE
IN 18 YRS ON THE JOB NO RECORDS OF MDERS BEING ARRESTED OR MD DECT CONFISCATED

PDJ

Jul 27, 2007
Detector(s) used

Ok -- Having a few issues here on the north shore. First of all, there is sooo much large metal trash on the beaches in front of some of the homes. I use a minelab excalibur 1000 and have to say the past few days out has been all lead sinkers and aluminum --- only if I turn the discrimination way up. Turn it down and it's never ending pipes, and trash. I forgot what I am supposed to be listining / hunting for. I feel like I should be taking garbage bags w/ me to clean up other peoples crap. Saw a couple of harbor seals thought -- that was cool.

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the State parks, as posted above, require a permit (yearly $20) for only the parks listed which include beaches like Jones. The beaches can be hunted year round (have never been asked for a permit in 4 years). However, if you want to hunt the state parks, you'd better have a permit. They most definitely do ask to see it. You can't hunt the parks from Memorial day to Labor day.

I can only speak for Nassau County (although I've hunted Suffolk), the Nassau County parks can be hunted. Just be discreet. Don't carry a shovel with you. I use small diggers and carry a ground cloth with me.

It's the same with all the rest of the ball-fields and parks and "commons". I've stayed away from school grounds, but I've heard of others that don't have an issue with it. I would just suggest that you stay off property when school is in and work very neatly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread