Gold in NY ?

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I am an avid viewer of the TV programs gold fever,and prospecting America and to me it seems gold(nuggets) are found in every state accept for NY state.So my question is...has anyone heard of anybody finding gold nuggets in this state? I've also read that their has been gold found in the Adirondack mountain streams yet the state forbids people taking it.Don't know if this is true or not info seems pretty sporadic from what i have read. can anyone shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I only heard of silver in small pockets in certain streams.never tried panning for it. :D

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
We have small amounts of glacial drift gold on this side of the state. Small flakes and flour gold. Haven't found any nuggets yet. Good luck. GG

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard of gold having been found in the Catskills and Adirondacks. I believe they are called "Alluvial Deposits" and is kind of placer deposit caused as the glaciers scoured up and down the state.

I tried surfing it up and I find some mention, but it seems gold was "never found in economic quantities" anywhere in NY (yet ;) )

Meatball

Greenie
Apr 12, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I work with a guy who's father goes panning in Zoar Valley in Catt. and Erie counties. He has found some flakes. A few years ago he hit it pretty hard and although it took him all summer he was able to come up with just over an ounce. There is a prospecting club near me but I haven't checked it out yet.

Good Luck and HH,
Meatball

westernNY

Greenie
Nov 26, 2005
came upon two guys panning in a stream west of Great Valley NY at an old CCC camp. Frankly I would stick to detecting for pennies in the local school yard cause I couldn't see what they were claiming to be flecks of gold. Years ago I purchase a Gold map and it showed veins beginning in the Carolinas and moving up towards Washington - up into NYS and across the state about twenty miles north of the Southern tier border line between NY and Pa. From what I could see it then headed south west to Corry Pa area. I have to unused gold pans - one in a complete set available for sale. Gonna stick to my Fisher F75 for my gold.
Good luck hope this helps a tad.

minertheron

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes there is gold not tons but there is gold and its almost all small specks and flakes real fine gold maybe a little decent sized gold around but good luck finding it

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of gold having been found in the Catskills and Adirondacks. I believe they are called "Alluvial Deposits" and is kind of placer deposit caused as the glaciers scoured up and down the state.

I tried surfing it up and I find some mention, but it seems gold was "never found in economic quantities" anywhere in NY (yet ;) )

Or, could it be that nobody ever discloses info about finding it? Especially, since laws have been in place for 100's of years in NYS that forbids anyone to keep precious metals found here!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am an avid viewer of the TV programs gold fever,and prospecting America and to me it seems gold(nuggets) are found in every state accept for NY state.So my question is...has anyone heard of anybody finding gold nuggets in this state? I've also read that their has been gold found in the Adirondack mountain streams yet the state forbids people taking it.Don't know if this is true or not info seems pretty sporadic from what i have read. can anyone shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it.

Yes, there is gold in New York, pushed down from Canada by glaciers during the Ice Age. It is very small "flour gold," and you will never, ever, find enough to pay for your gasoline, or a gold pan for that matter. No, there are NOT gold nuggets in every state - far from it. In fact, there are less than a dozen states worth metal detecting for gold nuggets. The reason for so few responses is that there are very few knowledgeable gold prospectors left on the East Coast. You are far more likely to find a gold coin or ring - Good Luck!

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
Herkimer County has gold . I heard this years ago but there recently was an article on it in the of the metal detecting magazines .

Kevin Roe

Greenie
Mar 24, 2013
New York,USA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am came up to know that there is really in few quantity. I think to go there is vain to put your time in there.
There are very few chances to find the good deals with it.

Please make me suggestions and visits:
conveyancing solicitor

Last edited:

mkdmachine

Apr 19, 2013
High Falls, Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unearthed,
Have heard the same but hard to believe. Searched all over the net, nothing.
Maybe you just "gotta" go out and find it. Keep in mind the Adirondacks were once ocean floor and were carved by glaciers and has not been a hot bed of volcanic activity. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Mkdmachine

Albert22

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't hear that any people finding there any gold because most of the people trying to start business there rather than to finding the gold.Because they get more money in the business rather than to find or invest in the gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread