Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am likely to have access this fall to a few privies. One was filled in a few years ago, but I am aware of where it was.
House built in 1850s, but I have no idea when this privy was put into use. I can tell you they were still using it in the 1990's ( The ladies didn't want to use the water...)
The second is a ten bedroom house built in 1870. The privy is at least a double (his and hers), and outhouse structure is still present (half collapsed). The house was used as a boarding house at some point, but I'm not familiar with the whole history. Owner has given permission. We may have to figure out how to fill it when complete.
Third is still standing (sorta) at a neighbors down the street, and I haven't yet door knocked.

With all that being said, is there an experienced privy digger in the Ulster/Orange/Dutchess area that's interested in tackling one of these with me? I have zero experience.

Last edited:

American

Aug 7, 2012
long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, whites Beach hunter id,
Look for Sanborn Fire insurance maps they have detailed information and where wooden structures were.
Get a long steel rod and probe you can get a idea how deep , rock , glass. And softer earth would indicate previously dug. As well as soil color.
Build a sifter lay a tarp down for the dirt you dig makes cleanup easier.

OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the outhouses, I was looking for experienced help to do the work.

American

Aug 7, 2012
long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, whites Beach hunter id,
I was going to build a shaker screen had it 85% but needed the space. Easy enough to build i had 1/4 " galvanized mesh . Still have the 110 volt motor just needs reduction pulleys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread