Heading to ForestBurgh, Sullivan County NY, any treasure legends?

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
there is a legend that tory raiders hid plunder in a cave in the shawangunk mountains
near summitvile.talking to a local,ha said that they were known as the crawfords.I have
never gone up that way to search for it(not enough info for me to warrant the drive).

there supposed to be a ghost town named venoge 4 miles west of forestburg(never been there).

there is a tannery rd(maybe an old tannery),also mill rd,and old plank rd.

google "historic usgs maps of new england" maybe you can find a 1900 topo

find out if the library has a local history section or a society for maps and such.

check out the foundations your coworker told you about.

good luck p.s. port jervis and minnisink ford had battles.

Krovas

Jul 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett ProPointer
I just have to jump in here to say that the DigDug avatar is truly inspired :D

OP
OP
Kut2TheChase

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I went through most all of those posts but nothing specific to forestburg.

OP
OP
Kut2TheChase

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Well, I went with a map of a saw mill from 1875. Hiked FOREVER through the woods, up and down mountain sides but could not find the mill. Talked to a neighbor about it and was told it is now a walnut tree grove and protected.
Great, I mean does every old shack in the woods NEED to be a designated "historical" site?
I mean come ON. Someone needs to put these people in thier place and work on that 1994 historical preservation act.
I mean most of these places don't even have standing structures anymore and will never receive funding for a formal dig. It just seems that it's a case of "if we can't dig it, then you can't either. I don't need funding, I work and pay taxes so actually I'm funding this stuff to boot.
I wanted to hit a foundation of an old tavern but it's just inside a state forest and no metal detectors allowed.
I know a squirrel that can cause more damage then me when digging a nut!
I'm telling you, it's HARD to not just take my chances and go where I want anyway. I'm pissed.

Anyway, no fun for me in ForestBurgh. I now have my eyes on Putnam County.
Anyone have any input on that?

Hey, thanks for listening and I know alot of you feel the same way.
-Chase

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I went with a map of a saw mill from 1875. Hiked FOREVER through the woods, up and down mountain sides but could not find the mill. Talked to a neighbor about it and was told it is now a walnut tree grove and protected.
Great, I mean does every old shack in the woods NEED to be a designated "historical" site?
I mean come ON. Someone needs to put these people in thier place and work on that 1994 historical preservation act.
I mean most of these places don't even have standing structures anymore and will never receive funding for a formal dig. It just seems that it's a case of "if we can't dig it, then you can't either. I don't need funding, I work and pay taxes so actually I'm funding this stuff to boot.
I wanted to hit a foundation of an old tavern but it's just inside a state forest and no metal detectors allowed.
I know a squirrel that can cause more damage then me when digging a nut!
I'm telling you, it's HARD to not just take my chances and go where I want anyway. I'm pissed.

Anyway, no fun for me in ForestBurgh. I now have my eyes on Putnam County.
Anyone have any input on that?

Hey, thanks for listening and I know alot of you feel the same way.
-Chase

hi im in monticello and im a firefighter in forestburgh have you or anyone else come back this way ?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kut2, whassamatter, grass always greener on the other side?? There are lots of historic areas in N.J., I'd think you could spend a lifetime hunting there. The Hudson Valley has much Rev War history, but it is pretty much all off limits in related places. Putnam is just like anywhere else, great places to hunt, many off limits, and most of the easily accessible legal spots well hunted. Permission for private property is paramount for hunting anywhere these days.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tanker, I'm down in Rockland County but do pass by Monticello occasionally. I'd join you for a hunt up there when it warms up if you'd like.

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds good to me id like to get a bunch of people together for a good hunt, im thinking of getting some buddies together to MD and look for dutch shultz buried millions :D

murk

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey, do you guys know if we need any type of permit in NY?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread