Fort Mississauga -- Lake Ontario shoreline, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.

darkmage2002

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2007
I found the ruins of Fort Mississauga recently labelled on, of all things, a road atlas. Living in the Niagara region, I wasn't even aware that this fort existed. All excited, I went out to the area about six months ago and found it surrounded by a golf course, which may or may not be a bad thing. At least it keeps the area from being developed, I guess. My situation at the time wasn't good for exploring and I didn't even get out of my car. I've been anxious to return but it is quite a drive.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knew any details about it. Tricia mentioned that she had been to the location and found some interesting things so I'm anxious to hear about them.

One question: obviously one cannot MD on the property of an old fort, ruined or not. But what about the adjacent shoreline? Being a rookie with MD'ing, I have no idea. I'd love to just play ignorant and stand knee deep in Lake Ontario detecting along the shoreline. But I'm sure some of you have stories to tell about "ignorance-of-the-law" not being a valid excuse if caught by authorities. How far away does one generally have to be to MD safely without worrying (setting aside the private property of other, regular residents, of course).

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Shhhh....I'm happy to talk about my finds but want to keep the locale a secret. It's out there if you look on the internet but we're not directly going to tell ya. ;D

All started on a ghost walk. The tourist kind. The guide was talking about other ghosty places to investigate in the area and mentioned the fort. I had been going to Niagara Falls on vacation once a year for 23 years and didn't know it was back there.

I think people literally stumble across it and that's the coolest kind of discovery.

No MDing and as for it being haunted...I'm pretty much a skeptic but I had a few moments that made me go hmmmmm. Mostly because there are underground storage bunkers and the tunnel to explore. When I saw spraypainted grafiti on the tunnel I wasn't sure what or who I was going to run into and certainly don't need any trouble with bored teenagers. Luckily there was really no one in the fort that day but the occasional tourist did pop in and walk around. Had a good camera and tripod with me, didn't need anyone walking off with my equipment. So I'd see a shadow and part of my brain would scream - IT'S A GHOST! The other part would scream - SOMEONE'S GONNA STEAL YOUR STUFF IF YOU JUST LEAVE IT THERE IDIOT! Explanation was always tourist, the living kind. LOL

Yes, you can walk right through the tunnel to the lake but it's all rock. As a matter of fact it's hang out area back there, enough beer bottles and empties to attest to that. Lovely view and very peaceful but HOLY MOLEY the bugs. Mean biting flies that are relentless so bring bug spray.

Had the same idea as you, MD along the shoreline but it's not an easy shoreline. Rocky and brushy.

My favorite find is the grafiti that's carved into the tunnel. Look good. There's some interesting stuff. Careful if you do a rubbing though. Do it gently to preserve the carvings for the future.

If you look over the berm toward the lake you can see what's probably decades worth of rubble. The plaster is coming off the structure and I think when they do maintanance they probably toss the loose stuff over the berm. Just get the feeling that if I was exploring and something trapped me, I'd be there awhile. The place just isn't visited that often. Probably 5-10 people a day on a nice weekend. And of course, local kids at night.

The door to the structure is locked. I tried. No way in except the roof and that would certainly draw attention if the locals saw someone with a 40 foot ladder walking down the street. ;D

The fort was used as a camp in WW1. I think the polo grounds, what they call the polo grounds, at Fort George was also a camp.

Talk about a contradiction. Fort George is very much accessible and sees many tourists and bus groups. Fort Mississagua is forgotten by everyone but those that stumble upon it. Have explored both and although I enjoy Fort George there is just something about an "abandoned" fort that is hard to resist.

The area is chock a block full of 1812 sites. Fort Erie, Fort George, Fort Missisagua, there's the one in NY you can see from Fort George. I'm having a mind blank about it's name at the moment.

One of the only genuinely haunted battlefields I will claim is along the Niagara Parkway past Chippewa. It's not prayed out like Gettysburg or other famous battlefields. "Prayed out" is a paranormal reserach term which means - so many people have visited over the years and prayed for the souls of the dead soldiers to be at peace, that they are. There just isn't much paranormal activity. Gettysburg is one of those places. The Chippewa battlefield however...not known by many and believe it or not, I'd say there is an active spirit presence there.

That's o.k. You can think I'm nuts. I have heard it before. :D

But I guess the point is there are so many interesting areas to explore in the Niagara region that even the constant tourist would be surprised at what there is to discover if they get off the beaten path.

OP
OP
D

darkmage2002

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2007
RE: Chippawa Battlefield

I've wanted so badly to MD the area but it is on a HIGHLY travelled route along the Niagara Parkway. Parkway officials are constantly travelling up and down the road doing lawn maintenance during the daytime.

The battlefield does have a plackard with a historial map of the battle. The map shows an encampment not far away beside a river. I headed out to the location of the encampment and found that two houses had been built directly on top of the site.

There was a steep, heavily bushed slope along the stream, which I hoped might yield something. As well, I doubted that the property owners would bark too much about me MDing through scrub bush at the fringe of their property.

All I found was a long rasp/file -- age unknown. I got the feeling that the construction of the roadway bridge over the river probably mandated resurfacing the ground several dozen feet in all directions and I was likely MDing topsoil from the 40s or 50s.

Perhaps I gave up a little too soon, but I was worried about getting charged for trespassing and detecting without permission/license.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Yes, you're right. The private landowners might be willing to comply. But their areas are mostly brush and gully's and such.

On Google Earth the road that goes past the private home on the Chippewa battlefield extends past the fence well into what is now the golf course.

The Chippewa battlefield golf course is THE spot but I would imagine when they were grading the land and building the greens they disturbed whatever surface materials there were.

I suppose if I write to the director of the golf course asking if I could come in and cut across some greens to take some pictures of the area they might be willing. Certainly no golf course would allow digging. But I fear I'll end up with a brochure map of the course with a price list of greens fees and golf cart rental. ROFL

Would be nice to track down an expert on the war in the area. There has to be some history buff who knows the battles well. It's hard to tell exactly what happened where because the area is so touristy. The placards on the Chippewa battlefield give a good over view in a timeline but someone actually pointing and telling you something is easier to follow.

Actually the Niagara Falls area could use a Gettysburg style self driving audio tour. There is a lot of territory along the river that was covered. The battle of Lundy's Lane could be included too. And hey, it's a very very pretty drive along the Niagara Parkway. Even if the past was gobbled up by the construction.

OP
OP
D

darkmage2002

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2007
RE: someone actually pointing and telling you something, permission to trespass, etc.

I find the problem with the entire Niagara region is that land from one end of it to another is simply worth too much because of the tourism and here. You would think that owners of different places might be interested in seeing what kind of relics their property might yield -- but on the contrary! Around here, people seem to be more worried about what WILL be found. The tourism industry is worth so much more that anyone who owns land along the Niagara Parkway, etc. would rather nothing is found on their property. They don't need the hastle of public outcries, property freezes, provincial assessments, etc.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Totally understand that.

Just try to walk down the hill on a Saturday afternoon. You'll hear at least 6 languages, 2 of which you can't identify and say excuse me at least 10 times.

The place is jam packed in the summer and yes tourism is the main thing so if I was one of those land owners I'd want my little piece of paradise away from the vast herds of humans.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Just did a quick search and found the below. It would appear that the fort was built in 1814. It made for some interesting reading. Good luck with the hunting!

The pages are from:

Title: Ten years of Upper Canada in peace and war, 1805-1815 being the Ridout letters
Principal Author: Ridout, Thomas, 1754-1829.
Author: Edgar, Matilda Ridout, Lady, 1844-1910.

Attachments

• Past names.jpg
    Past names.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,259
  • built 1814.jpg
    built 1814.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 742
  • The fort.jpg
    The fort.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 702

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
If ever I find those items stolen from the women and children's house I'll be sure to give them back to the homestead. If it's not there, I'll dig a hole and bury the items in the homestead's ground.

Certainly could use some good karma points these days. ;)

Generals, who do they think they are? Show up and steal stuff. Well he got his, didn't he!

BjC

Mar 1, 2006
In Your Backyard
I live along the Niagara Parkway and i've checked out the area around Fort mississauga, checking if I could MD. the site is a pain to get to, you have to walk accross a golf course... but once you are there it is clearly marked stating excavation of any sort prohibited. I wouldn't even try down by the shore there is tons of garbage and you can tell it is a well travelled path. On another note, a freind of mine lives on a property beside the chippawa battlefeild and I detected his property. all I turned up was some very old "square" nails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread