Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UnEarthed72 said:
Anyone know any good links to Ghost towns in ny.state?
I Know of a bad one. ;) I've found that most anywere could be classified as a "ghost town" Every town at one time had factorys and such.Your best bet would to find some old maps of your area.I have an 1868 atlas of otsego county NY that shows houses and who owned them etc. Cheak and see if there is one for your county as there were a number made during this time period.Also try the USGS list of historical topo maps.These were made in the early 1900's and some in the 1930's.A trip to the local history section at any library would be a good idea as well.

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
The ghost towns website has some good info. I was talking to a state park person this morning and found out you can't md in any state park in NY, even with a permit, unless it's on a beach. Apparently people weren't filling in their holes, so now no-one is allowed to make holes. I don't know about county or federal parks. I was in a ghost town in Harriman State Park this weekend and I guess you could try to get away with it, but it is pretty popular and there were lot of people. If you do try, make sure you use headphones.

stewball1

Mar 25, 2005
Huntington, LI, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX & Minelab SE Pro
Don't know where you live Xena, but on Long Island the parks department gives you a map with the allowable state parks and where in the parks you can detect is on the maps. It's pretty much the beaches and picnic areas. They told me detecting's restricted to those areas but didn't really say why. I can understand the parks with historical areas. However, if you associate yourself with an accredited archeologist, you can detect with them to assist them where they dig (LOL). ;D

westernNY

Greenie
Nov 26, 2005
a quick comment on the Irish town abandon town in Catt County just east of Allegany State Park. Entrance to the town can be obtained from two directions - the link above mentions the lower end where you park by a cemetery. The upper entrance is off the road from Limestone to an abandon entrance to the Allegany State Park . I've been into the site several times. Take my advise if you have any physical problems - the problem will be tested. Walking in from the lower side appeared slightly easier but again its a very physically demanding walk. Memories of the various trips never turned up the missing buried cache of coins - claimed to have been buried by a person who was found dead in his attempt to walk in to back in the 90's. The body was found but not the cache to my knowledge. Only thing I ever saw found of valve was a brooch of silver and blue stones. Found pennies - other farming items but no silver and once with head down sweeping my coil in a brushy area I almost stepped on a porcupine. Would I return again? Having just purchased an F75 fisher machine - there are many other nearby easier challenges - so the answer is - probably not...

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
westernNY said:
a quick comment on the Irish town abandon town in Catt County just east of Allegany State Park. Entrance to the town can be obtained from two directions - the link above mentions the lower end where you park by a cemetery. The upper entrance is off the road from Limestone to an abandon entrance to the Allegany State Park . I've been into the site several times. Take my advise if you have any physical problems - the problem will be tested. Walking in from the lower side appeared slightly easier but again its a very physically demanding walk. Memories of the various trips never turned up the missing buried cache of coins - claimed to have been buried by a person who was found dead in his attempt to walk in to back in the 90's. The body was found but not the cache to my knowledge. Only thing I ever saw found of valve was a brooch of silver and blue stones. Found pennies - other farming items but no silver and once with head down sweeping my coil in a brushy area I almost stepped on a porcupine. Would I return again? Having just purchased an F75 fisher machine - there are many other nearby easier challenges - so the answer is - probably not...

Your right the site has been hunted plenty of times in the past , if not hundreds of times . But what is nice about this site is ...........IT"S HUGE! The town is spread over about 10 to 15 acres and its on two old wagon roads. I have found a number of old coins and relics at that site. Including Civil war buttons , jewelry....etc. A friend of mine found a knife with a Lions head on the handle which was very interesting. if someone is planing to go there the best was to go is from the Thunder rocks formations. In the parking lot looking at the rock formations , then turn 45 degrees to your left .....their you will find an old horse trail that is still being used. This will take you right to the old town it is about a half hour walk, its mostly level with a small slope towards the end. The first foundation you see will be on your left. Thirty yards or so you will see another on your right on the hill....Then at the intersection or old road you can go left or right and have more cellar holes to hunt............if you decide to come from the old Cemetery way which is about a 45 minutes walk . Its all up hill and the old road is difficult to see at times so the best way is Thunder rocks. Anytime during the year is good to hunt this site because 90 percent of it is Hard woods with minimal ground growth.....................Good Luck! Keep on Digging!!!!!

The Seeker

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
harriman state park:I like to look at the mine shafts.as for the detecting were the workers lived,not worth
the seizure of my md(nor the bad publicity of the hobby).I met a member of the long pond iron works
historical society but did not tell him of my hobby.I figure I would get from this :D to this >:( and no
more local history chatting(in wich he was impressed with my knowledge)....

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried Groton City last year, its on the link from stewball1, the only huntable place was a small church thats still used today. found a cub scout slide, forget what else was found,

Pro-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions