Long Island Beaches

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi,

Does anyone else detect on the Long Island Beaches? I ask because I was out there yesterday with a friend. I was using my Tesoro Tiger Shark and she was using a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver and we both had trouble with false signals in front of the dunes where the sand is a brownish/reddish color. At least I think it was the sand causing false signals. The BH has a ID display and it kept reading coins in that area, the TS also kept getting hits. Well we dug and dug half way to China and didn't find anything. Has anyone else had this problem? ??? If so, how do you deal with it? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sue

stewball1

Mar 25, 2005
Huntington, LI, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX & Minelab SE Pro
Sue

I do North Shore LI beaches with my BH ID. I have similar results on some beaches. You have to avoid the mineralized sand if it causes that problem. The funny thing is that my DFX does not have that problem in the same areas. I've ground balanced the BH ID until my fingers hurt and I could never get rid of the problem. When that happens, I just change detectors or change beach areas. Try emailing Whites for an answer.

Stew

Pete Sluder

Nov 24, 2007
New Market, MD
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Sue,

I'm new to metal detecting on Long Island and I've spent most of my detecting time on the beach, both north and south shores. I too get a great deal of false readings near the dunes (been around Field 6, Jones Beach and Tobay mostly). I think two things are at work here. The brownish/yellow colored sand I've come across has been newer sand that has washed up during storms or higher wind swept tides. The salinity is different than the underlying sand and there is a false reading generated. The second thing is the number of beer cans buried near the dunes. I have been getting hits and after digging for a while all I find is a beer can. Seems that the dunes area is where the parties are, or at least the drinking.

HH

Pete

jtreasurehunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Hi Sue.Joe here. I spent many glorious days hunting the beaches here on long island. I know what you speak of with the black sand problem. It is critical to properly ground balance in those areas to get any depth. As for all the false signals, I found the problem to be many small pieces of old nails and wire. Listen for a double signal. That's the key. Hope this saves you some unnecessary digging. Good luck.My best find was years ago at Robert Moses park. A sixteenth century crucifix. Silver inlaid with coral and turquoise

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread