diving in NY ??

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
kieser sousa said:
Hi all,I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a site were I can find info on the laws/regulations etc.for diving in upstate NY.I'm mostly interested in lake Otsego in Cooperstown and Onida lake.Thanks !

You should look into Lake Delta... it was at one time a town in the "delta" of the Mohawk River - Flooded to create the lake. While flying over Delta Lake (Outside Rome, NY) you can still see foundations and roads from the town. My wife's great grandmother owned property there and she hadda relocate when it was flooded.

See more pics at: http://nlford.com/history/delta/

delta[1].jpg

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I think there are... I am NO expert... maybe SWR can get you in the right direction. Or - chat with the other divers here on T-Net.

I think there are at least federal laws... and prolly NYS laws too... see this site: http://www.dtmag.com/Stories/What About/07-03-Feature.htm

Yes... federal AND NYS...

From the site:

New York — Not to be outdone by Florida, New York dive flag law also defines diver, albeit in less detail, but certainly subject to more interesting interpretation. Pursuant to New York consolidated laws, “Diver shall mean anyone who dives below the water for exploratory purposes with or without the use of scuba equipment.”
Also, pursuant to New York consolidated laws, “a Diver’s flag shall mean a red flag at least 12 inches by 12 inches with a white diagonal stripe not less than three inches wide and not more than three inches wide.” Applying my brilliant statutory interpretation skills, it appears that in New York, the stripe must be exactly 3 inches wide.

Best bet: Call a local dive shop...

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
kieser sousa said:
Hi all,I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a site were I can find info on the laws/regulations etc.for diving in upstate NY.I'm mostly interested in lake Otsego in Cooperstown and Onida lake.Thanks !

You should look into Lake Delta... it was at one time a town in the "delta" of the Mohawk River - Flooded to create the lake. While flying over Delta Lake (Outside Rome, NY) you can still see foundations and roads from the town. My wife's great grandmother owned property there and she hadda relocate when it was flooded.

See more pics at: http://nlford.com/history/delta/

Thanks Jim ,never heard of that one I'l definatly look into it.Sounds pretty interesting !

MD Dog said:
There dosen't appear to be any.
[[url]http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9503E2DC163AF936A35755C0A962958260/url]

But no running or the life guards will blow thier whistles. :D :D :D

No problem ND Dog,Kinda hard to run with flippers on anyhow. :D ;D

Hey Jim ,see you posted again as I was about to reply ! Thanks for the help.I have found a couple of things on the DEC website and have found that you need a permit for some lakes and also that you are not allowed to dive in any areas were you may hinder boat traffic such as in a narrow channel used for navigation etc.Thanks again and have a good one ! ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
No problem.. I figured if you wanted to dive Oneida... might as well dive Delta... I've fished both extensively... Oneida is a shallow lake with an average depth od only 22 feet... she's a killer on windy days!

General Von Stuben has (had) a house on the edge of Delta Lake lake that still stands... he was General Washingtons disciplinarian when times were tough during the Rev War... That area is load with history. I lived there for 13 years and miss it terribly...

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
No problem.. I figured if you wanted to dive Oneida... might as well dive Delta... I've fished both extensively... Oneida is a shallow lake with an average depth od only 22 feet... she's a killer on windy days!

General Von Stuben has (had) a house on the edge of Delta Lake lake that still stands... he was General Washingtons disciplinarian when times were tough during the Rev War... That area is load with history. I lived there for 13 years and miss it terribly...

Thanks Jim,Yeah Oneida lake has some very cool history and I like the idea of it being shallow wich means warm ! ;D Can be hasadous though on the windy days for sure.My Dad used to detect the water along Silvan beach and has found alot of nice old silver coins.There is a story also of a lost treasure of antique buttons worth big bucks,but I think that it is more myth than fact but ya never know ! Gotta be some really cool artifacts like old bottles etc. there though.

The Delta sounds like an awesome site and I will be lookin into that one ! I could allways use a dive buddy so if you ever get a wild hair give me a shout ! Have a good one ! ;D

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
It's cold, but you should give Lake George a shot too. Visability is great most of the year.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Yes Lake George is very nice and has hundreds of ship wrecks from the REV. war. But one thing about Lake George it is very DEEP in spots and another little known fact... It is the coldest lake in the United State :o . If you every come up to this area let me know I live 2 minutes from the lake.
Thanks and Happy Hunting!!!
Jason

youk

Aug 11, 2007
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Sunray Probe
Lake George has a number of underwater sites that are strictly hands off eyes only. Very historical and big trouble if you disturb them!!
sgyouk

youk

Aug 11, 2007
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Sunray Probe
Bassfish, Totally agree that these sites should be left as is. Unfortunately people in the past have taken from some of these areas and this threatens to ruin it for everyone.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Hmmmmm..... I've never dove before... I'm dive-tarded, but...

I might "take" from a site... Is that different from digging and taking while detecting?

If I pick up a relic - is that a bad thing?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Personally I think tecting and diggin up ole coins or jewelery is cool but if you find a piece of history it belongs to everbody even if you did all the work etc... Sometimes they are combined treasure and artifact as well as sometimes artifact is treasure. Her is where it gets sticky, any settlement should be dealt with fairly taking into account the work done by the finder, but also not discounting the claim all people have to a piece of history and the knowledge it can impart to our overall understanding of the past. Heck that info could be the next puzzle piece in another search for more treasure.
:icon_study:

youk

Aug 11, 2007
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Sunray Probe
Montana Jim, As some in NY have found out the bottom of a waterway or lake belongs to the state.
whether people feel this is right or wrong it is what it is. This sites in lake George are actually considered under water museums and are posted as such. Some are Rev. war battle ships.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
sgyouk said:
Montana Jim, As some in NY have found out the bottom of a waterway or lake belongs to the state.
whether people feel this is right or wrong it is what it is. This sites in lake George are actually considered under water museums and are posted as such. Some are Rev. war battle ships.

Ahhhhhhh... Interesting. I did not know that! :tard:

Thank you for the response, I was completely unaware they claimed the bottoms, and although I AM aware there are relics everyplace - I also never knew that Lake George was so deem'd historic.

Very cool... :thumbsup:

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sgyouk,
Simply put, you are wrong.

NYSOGS "controls land underwater" but not to be construed as owning it. Navigational waterways, meaning, able to float a boat at highwater, are open to the public. Those items on the bottom still do belong to the person who lost them. This is called the law of finds. The finder has a responsibility to find the original owner. The state does not do this.

You can argue my facts but I spent years and $$$$$$$$ in research and court actions.
Easier yet, DONT ASK - DONT TELL.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some cheaking and was told that any lake of 1,000 acres or more,the bottom is state owned up to the shoreline.Not a problem as I've turned my foucus to other area's. :wink:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
coin_diver said:
sgyouk,
Simply put, you are wrong.

NYSOGS "controls land underwater" but not to be construed as owning it. Navigational waterways, meaning, able to float a boat at highwater, are open to the public. Those items on the bottom still do belong to the person who lost them. This is called the law of finds. The finder has a responsibility to find the original owner. The state does not do this.

You can argue my facts but I spent years and $$$$$$$$ in research and court actions.
Easier yet, DONT ASK - DONT TELL.

Great advice.

nmarsh

Oct 23, 2006
Whiteboro,NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,DetectorPro Pirate
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look in the yellow pages for Dive shops and they can tell you the dive laws for NY.There is one in Rome,NY,several in Syracuse NY.I live in Whitesboro,NY and am interested in lake metal detecting,wading and diving.I've got a hookah dive rig set up for 3 and detectors but no one to dive with.Drop me an email if you ever want some company to go out with.I'm retired so I have more free time than most people.Thanks,Norm Marsh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread