town and city parks

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
Okay, to begin with, I don't do much detecting at parks, but I hear all kinds of talk about the laws in New York on the subject. Does anyone have the right facts on this. I know state parks you can only detect on the sand area. What about city and town parks. Have the laws gotten that strict? Or what about the local school district? Just tired of getting confused on this subject, lol.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I have never had any problem what so ever hunting city,county,or school yard parks.just a bit of gawking every now and then,if your talking about the police harassing,or questioning(they may look but never stop)
I'm in the Oneida lake area probably not too far from yourself and i try to stay away from state parks that require a permit and are constantly patrolled by rangers n such.

Shawn

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
There are some specific laws aimed directly at us, that are generally not employed. Most likely because the Archies really don't wanna start a war with the average Joe shmoe MDers. But they are there on the books should they decide to weild a big stick. Google N.Y. State Education Laws Section 233. Be sure to read the first few subsections as they differ. I think you'll get the gist of what the Archies are thinkin on the subject by reading from this little link.

http://nyarchaeology.org/mainpages/about/PUbliclandtreasurehuntresolution.htm

OP
OP
Woody14

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
I hear you there. If you want to see a good example of those types, I read on one of the park websites where they actually tell land owners to not let us "armchair" archaeologists dig on there lands. I need look into how to change a law. Hopefully one day all this will be seen for how ridiculous it is and change.

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi,

Depends on where you are. In NYC you have to get a metal detecting permit. It's only good for certain parks in each borough. For instance md'ers are not allowed to md in Central Park. I know some do, but if you get caught they can take your equipment away. Out of over 100 parks in NYC you can only detect in 27, I have the permit in front of me. All of the parks you can detect in in Manhattan are on the edges, both waterfronts and up in the hood. I certainly won't detect in Inwood Park, Randall's Island or Ward's Island without someone to watch my back!

Even on the beaches there are restrictions. On Coney Island and Brighton beaches you can't detect under the boardwalks! Where do you think most stuff would be found? Here in the city none of the schools have grass, so we don't have the chance to detect there.

Sue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread