Catskill Mountains were a booming tourist attraction

jtreasurehunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
lets not forget about the old bungalow colonies that were all over those days. I know of one in Hurleyville where we used to hang out

jtreasurehunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Hi Ikes. No. Never tried to detect those bungalows. I was there in the sixties and seventies. before my detecting days. I did try a few minutes at Schroon lake in the Adirondacks a few years ago. At the public beach. Picked up a few mercs but never went back. Seemed there was always something else to do

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yikes! In college we took a ski trip and stayed at The Pines for two few nights while we hit the local slopes.

Spooky when "ghost towns" are in your memory. Though . . . it looked about like the pictures even then. :D

Be a great project to find some of the old train stations in the Catskills.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
don't forget that old goat RIP VAN WINKLE! he was supposed to have hidden a golden bowling pin studded with jewels. i took a quick look but, needle in a hay stack! i know where the real fortune is. 1 dollar to cross his bridge. free on the way back. slept for 20 years, now on state welfare! beautiful country. go for a summer vacation. enjoy!

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I have the united states treasure atlas vol 7 which includes NY , # 637 " at one time over 400 resorts hotels prospered in the Catskill Mountains area in Sullivan County , which is the next county by me ::) . Today only about 40 are still operating. The Area is a coinshooter and relic hunters paradise "
My Question is where is the largest concentration of these so called resorts and what route is best to take in locating them . I'm traveling on 97 , or I can even take 42 to route 17.beyond these major routes Im lost as to which exit to take and other roads i must travel

Thank You

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread