NYC Takes Prospect Park and Owls Head Park off the list of places 2 hunt

T

TreasurdiggrNY

NYC Takes Prospect Park and Owl's Head Park off the list of places 2 hunt

Hey Everyone,
This is ridiculous I just got a notice which is going out to all NYC MD Permit Holders. It states that Prospect Park and Owl's Head Park are now off limits to Metal detecting.

The use of a metal detector in either parks will result in the revocation of your permit, a summons, and other relevant violations.

I asked why, and was told that at Owl's Head park there are erosion problems around mature trees from metal detectorists digging around and cutting the roots of the mature trees.

I asked about Prospect Park and they said that they are enforcing the historical significance of the whole park and are concerned about the impact on the grassy areas.

When asked who I could speak to about this they stated the best thing to do would be to make a complaint via the NYC 311 system and the complaint would be directed to the appropriate person.

I have a feeling this decision was made hastily by the City without much thought and I think if they hear enough complaints they may change their mind.

I urge everyone to give a call to 311 and complain about this, tell your friends and family to do the same, and anyone else visiting the city and let's see if we can get this decision overturned. If they don't overturn it, they may think of other alternatives to the situation instead of just deeming an area off limits.

Glenn

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
Re: NYC Takes Prospect Park and Owl's Head Park off the list of places 2 hunt

Just mass e-mail Mick Dockett Parks Chief..(just opend my letter today)

I never understand NYC Parks , they will drive their trucks over wet grass and lawn areas tearing things up making people happy with park renovations that destroy natural habitat, but when it comes to someone who is neatly cutting a plug of grass removing an object ( usually trash ) then fixing it all up again they think you are a ax wielding maniac chopping down the forest and making the lives of park visitors uncomfortable. I do understand that some people do damage leave open holes that can be a liability for the park etc, but no mater what the reason given. I truly believe its people complaining out of jealousy, parks Officials, chiefs, commish'ss believing that whats in the ground is theirs.
Ehh i just hate bureaucratic bs nonsense, They stress over putting out lit matches and cig buts while their house burns down behind them.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I just got the letter as well. Isn't that the park you planned for the fall outing?

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Neil in West Jersey said:
I just got the letter as well. Isn't that the park you planned for the fall outing?

Yup, everyone from the last get-together wanted to do Prospect Park in the fall >:(
Good Luck,
Glenn

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6

To Inwood!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Ironically, Inwood allows detecting and has a much richer history.

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250

yeah its a bummer soon everything will be off the list , But that is what happens when you live in the Liberal environmentalist capital of the world . Probably some environmental activist seen individuals , digging up the soil , that might have disturbed a Rat burrow ???, Even though i visit the old hood on occasion I perfer to go deep into the sticks where there is not a soul to be found :icon_pirat:

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008

I agree if we flooded them with 311 calls and complaints maybe they'd come to reality and change their thinking. They wanna preserve the artifacts by letting them rot in the ground... Government is always to afraid someone might profit and they'll miss out...

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300

Hi, That New York For you ! :'( :'( :'( :'( :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread