How’s the Anfibio work in heavy mineralized soil?

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know much about the antfibio except what Calabash digger test in his videos. If it were me I would get the Deus unless your wanting a submersible detector.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know much about the antfibio except what Calabash digger test in his videos. If it were me I would get the Deus unless your wanting a submersible detector.

Yeah it’s why in asking I saw that and tested it in my soil here in Louisiana and my 800 can ground balance from the 30’s thru the 70’s. I have the 15” and it couldn’t hit a IHP at 8”. So thinking about switching to a better detector for high mineralized soil. I’ve found a lot with the 800 half reals, half busts etc...but I have to be over 8” in these areas. Not to mention the iron falsing is killing me.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They both perform similarly, depth wise, here in my ground, which seems to be pretty mineralized. Ran both "head to head" for a lil more than a week, in my test garden and on multiple hunts, trying to decide which one to stick with for this next season (have been running nox's since they came out). When talking the 11" coils, you can squeak slightly more depth with the Anfibio. Am highly familiar with each and every setting of both machines. Gave a couple 12x15's a fair shot on the 800's and have ran the 13x13.5 on the Anfibio at the same time. With the bigger 13" round coil, the Anfibio gains a lil more depth yet again, but weight becomes a factor, it is well balanced weight though (nox feels much lighter). Ended up selling my nox's, really happy with this Anfibio multi machine at this point, it just kinda tells me more about what's under the coil, is deep, has handy modes/features and has awesome separation.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They both perform similarly, depth wise, here in my ground, which seems to be pretty mineralized. Ran both "head to head" for a lil more than a week, in my test garden and on multiple hunts, trying to decide which one to stick with for this next season (have been running nox's since they came out). When talking the 11" coils, you can squeak slightly more depth with the Anfibio. Am highly familiar with each and every setting of both machines. Gave a couple 12x15's a fair shot on the 800's and have ran the 13x13.5 on the Anfibio at the same time. With the bigger 13" round coil, the Anfibio gains a lil more depth yet again, but weight becomes a factor, it is well balanced weight though (nox feels much lighter). Ended up selling my nox's, really happy with this Anfibio multi machine at this point, it just kinda tells me more about what's under the coil, is deep, has handy modes/features and has awesome separation.

When you say it's "well balanced weight" are you saying it actually feels lighter or is it just putting less strain on the arm and shoulder? I'm really thinking about getting the Anfibio Multi but the weight is concerning me. It says its at 3.7 pounds. I'm used to that Tesoro weight.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been used to swinging nox's for a good while now, which feel featherweight and sleek to me. I never use coil covers, so have to factor that in here.

Initially, switching back n forth between the two, with 11" coils, the extra weight of the anfibio was very noticeable. Now that I'm used to the machine, it actually feels quick and nimble again when sporting the 11 DD. The anfibio feels more stout, has no play in the shafts and is just solid feeling. Hard to explain, but it just feels smooth and well balanced when swinging it.

Add the 13" coil, it still feels very well balanced, but the coil will carry noticed momentum on swings and slows things down a lil. I've hunted the 13 several times in cornfields now, for up to 5 hours and don't really even think anything of the extra weight. The 13 is a beefy coil, I imagine the nel/cors larger coils might be a lil lighter when they come out, but the 13 does have some similarity to the nel/cors design.

Briefly water hunted with the 13 a week or so ago, but with the criss cross currents, it was difficult to simply just walk in the water, let alone swing to detect effectively.

Hard to convey, but definitely no strain on arm/elbow/shoulder for me.

So easy to switch coils after buying extra lower shafts for the extra coils, like $19 each.

I have no idea how much a tesoro weighs.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Do you get as many iron falsing on the Anfibio?

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still learning all its iron behaviors and nuances.

Short answer, still get plenty of iron falses, but it’s easier to tell if it is with the Anfibio.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you go and switch to a whole new machine, try playing around with the NOX. Turn your iron bias to zero, make sure you ground balance, and run your tests again but try using different modes and frequencies.

I suspect if you run zero iron bias, in gold 2 mode you should be able to get some better depth. You could also just try running the highest single frequency on the machine, and the lowest. Lowest is better for high conductors(silver and coins) and highest is better for the mid conductors like buttons and gold.

Calabash has a video where he test the Deus, Nox and anfibio on some really bad dirt somebody sent him. The Nox was the least performing machine in the video but I can't remember if he tried gold mode, or the 40khz single frequency with zero iron bias, which may or may not improve results. The Deus in the gold program was the best result if memory serves. Results in your soil may not match his though, so experiment a bit.

If weight is an issue you may also want to consider the Kruzer multi instead of the anfibio. They have very similar capabilty but the Kruzer has a cheaper rod and slightly different modes. It's quite a bit lighter though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread