Giving Nokta FORS Gold a Spin

ronniecruisin

Greenie
Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve. I guess I'm a bit used to upping the gain on PI machines and getting away with it. Will try to keep my fingers off the gain control. Just out of curiosity, probably having used both machines, how would you compare the GMT to the FORS.? The Iron Discrim meter on the GMT sounds interesting. Does it work well in the field?

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more mineralized the ground, the more discrimination accuracy suffers. I can't say I have ever found any VLF to be markedly superior to another in that regard. The GMT will hit smaller gold than the FORS Gold but overall I am liking the overall capability of the Nokta better for my particular uses. I do have a GMT but I think it will be for sale soon. I like my Gold Bug 2 better for the tiniest stuff so between the Nokta and GB2 the GMT is not getting used any more.

ronniecruisin

Greenie
Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Just one more question if you don't mind Steve. Does the same apply to the MXT??? ie. I did have one once and really liked it. How do you rate the FORS up against the MXT???? I have read your report on them, but obviously you didn't have the FORS to compare at that time.....Regards...Ronnie

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MXT is one of my all time favorite detectors. Problem is I have not used one in a couple years. If I had to own one or the other for straight up general purpose detecting it would probably be the MXT. In the US at least it has more features for the money. The thing is - it is all about the ground, not the detector. The ground determines the performance. Different detectors handle some ground better than others. So at the end of the day I always am testing detectors for my purposes in my ground. I share what I think, but it must always be remembered it is my results in my ground. Ultimately the only person that can determine what works best for you in your ground is you.

ronniecruisin

Greenie
Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve. Good honest advice as always. I'll give the fors a bit more of a go before l make any other decisions. tis been a couple years since l used an mxt too, but l do remember it was great fun to use and worked quite well here. From memory, relic mode was very useful when prospecting. Don't remember why, but something about it worked better here than prospecting mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread