Nokta pointer

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received my Nokta pointer today and I must say this company takes pride in it's products and presentation. The case for the pointer is well made, im not sure I will ever use it but I may just because it is so nice, they seem to stop to take time in details.
I realized as soon as I picked it up it is a quality product. Everything is precise on it. As far as the sensitivity I doubt many can match it as I've tried already and the black Garrett doesn't, the Xpointer is close but no cigar. I'm not able to speak of the whites or minelab until later when I get the chance to test them but so far this Nokta is the one ill be using all the time.

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info badger! I'm tryin to make a decision on what pin-pointer to get right now, so will consider the Nokta :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info badger! I'm tryin to make a decision on what pin-pointer to get right now, so will consider the Nokta :thumbsup:

The sensitivity of it is amazing. It being waterproof is a bonus along with the alarm if you happen to lose it. I'm a Garrett fan but this nokta is too good for the price.

garmany

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2005
Sandy Hook area - New Jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab excaliber 1000; fisher cz-20; minelab Explorer SE pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also just purchased the new waterproof pointer. I was not informed by Kellyco that one of the accessories was a lanyard that would attach to the top screw down head, to keep the thing from floating off. I used it in just about chest high incoming surf about 1-2 ft high. I saw the pointer floating under water about one foot below surface; I was sort of dumbfounded.. then I realized just why that Bright orange device looked familiar.... It was my new pointer....daaa so I forced it down into the holder on my belt, and kept on hunting only after I dug out a 925 setting that was a David Yulmar sterling ring with a lot of barnacles, after walking to the water line, placing the ring in safe keeping pocket, I started back out...only to notice that the $135.00 pointer (with tax etc...) was gone again..... I would post the language that I used.... but I was not happy... I did however find the damned thing floating about 20 from where I was standing.

The only point I am trying to make....the pointer will float away un-noticed...I have since ordered the retaining lanyard from Kellyco for $19.00 plus tax and s/h

I emailed the Mfr. in Turkey, They made sure that the back order for the Pointer's Lanyard would be fulfilled very shortly at Kellyco.

Gary Miller

Last edited:
OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also just purchased the new waterproof pointer. I was not informed by Kellyco that one of the accessories was a lanyard that would attach to the top screw down head, to keep the thing from floating off. I used it in just about chest high incoming surf about 1-2 ft high. I saw the pointer floating under water about one foot below surface; I was sort of dumbfounded.. then I realized just why that Bright orange device looked familiar.... It was my new pointer....daaa so I forced it down into the holder on my belt, and kept on hunting only after I dug out a 925 setting that was a David Yulmar sterling ring with a lot of barnacles, after walking to the water line, placing the ring in safe keeping pocket, I started back out...only to notice that the $135.00 pointer (with tax etc...) was gone again..... I would post the language that I used.... but I was not happy... I did however find the damned thing floating about 20 from where I was standing.

The only point I am trying to make....the pointer will float away un-noticed...I have since ordered the retaining lanyard from Kellyco for $19.00 plus tax and s/h

I emailed the Mfr. in Turkey, They made sure that the back order for the Pointer's Lanyard would be fulfilled very shortly at Kellyco.

Gary Miller

So this is an accessory and not part of the package? I would think that it should. How and who do I talk to a Nokta to get this. I think the amount of money I just spent for a Nokta detector and pointer is worth a lanyard

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this is an accessory and not part of the package? I would think that it should. How and who do I talk to a Nokta to get this. I think the amount of money I just spent for a Nokta detector and pointer is worth a lanyard
I think it should be mentioned as an option, and wasn't aware one existed.
However, the probe does have the I'm Lost Please Find Me alarm..., but I'd hate to loose it anyway,
even if it is colored, on one end, and it can make itself invisible, if lost in amongst Fall maple leaf litter...!:sad10:

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just orders a custom made one from [removed by mod/ non supporting vendor] think that's the place.

Last edited by a moderator:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This pointer does work. That is not the issue. It is what you have to go through to make it function that is the problem. With the button cluster located on the end and exactly where your dirty gloves have to hold the pointer is the problem. If you are use to the side buttons like on the Garrett then the two handed "have to look" process must happen when it is turned on and off and when added functions are accessed. The other thing is the dirty gloves and hands filling the recesses around and over the buttons requiring maintenance to make your selection. There is now someone who has come up with a condom affair to cover the buttons to keep them clean but you have to mark on the outside where the buttons are. Believe me if you had a Garrett type pointer and this pointer laying side by side in the field I would say that by the end of the day you would never pick up this pointer again.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This pointer does work. That is not the issue. Believe me if you had a Garrett type pointer and this pointer laying side by side in the field I would say that by the end of the day you would never pick up this pointer again.
Well if you had both the Garrett and the Nokta side by side ...What one would you not pick up again ????????????

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both pointers and yes you do have to become accustomed to the buttons being on the end but I have to point out a flaw in the logic. The statement of the buttons being near your dirty gloves and have to clean the buttons etc etc umm how about buttons that are on the side are you saying they don't get touched by dirty gloves or that it doesn't come in contact with the dirt while in the hole? Think about why they put the buttons on the end..because its the very last place that will come in contact with the dirt while inside of the hole..unless you oh I don't know choose to leave the pointer in the hole and bury it well maybe then dirt will get on the buttons.
I've had mine for a few weeks now and I like it..its accurate, its well made, has features I like, has a light that actually works as a light rather than a way to tell if the thing is on or not (who hasn't looked at the light on a Garrett to see if its in when you can't find the target?) and it doesn't have persistent falsing issues.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like your Nokta pointer then use it and enjoy it. My take is that if you have a base detector that goes deep and your hole is deep and your soil is clay based or wet then your gloves or hands will be dirty. When you reach to the bottom of a deep hole then your hand naturally migrates to the rear of the pointer. In your case that just happens to be where the recessed buttons are located. These recesses around the buttons is where the soil will collect. the Pointers that have the side buttons do not have that problem so they work even if soil collects in that area. The normal procedure with the Nokta is to dig the hole and clean out the loose dirt then stop, rotate to view the buttons, make your selection, hold that selection the required time for it to be entered, wait for it to come on. Now you can search for your find. Then Stop, rotate rotate to view buttons and shut off the pointer until the next time it is needed. If during this process the buttons get mud/soil covered, then there is a cleaning process that must be done in order to continue with your hunt. Even fellow hunters who have the manual dexterity to text at a good rate have difficulty trying to accomplish this task with one hand. Again, I say that if you like it keep it. It is just not for me, I would rather be detecting than having to deal with what I have described above.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry I kind of chuckled at how you described how the process works with the nokta. You make it sound so complicated...you left out how when you need to turn it on how you need to spin around 3 times, click your heels, stand on your head, close one eye, stick out your tongue while reciting the declaration of independence.
The setting I have mine on stays that way and I don't normally need to change it but it sure is nice having the option if I want to. This past weekend I was in nothing but clay and had no issues with the buttons. Considering how wet everything was and muddy I was glad it's waterproof

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuckle if you must, but many find the two handed process that is needed to make this pointer function somewhat time consuming and bothersome. The day to day competition finds that there is some other manufactures that do not require this process they are also waterproof. Let us just leave it up to those new buyers to take all this data and make up their own mind. Back to the clay pits for you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally like the Nokta, I like its depth which is deep....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm same as bzbadger, I don't need to change settings, I keep sensitivity set about 8 which eliminates any EMI.

I don't dig plugs, I use pinpointer to locate exact point above target, probe to get depth, slit sod and recover target with 7/8" or 1 1/4" mini diggers I have, when done I pinch sod back together, no plug to die, no sign I was ever there. I have park workers stand and watch me then leave, never a word to me about no digging in park....

Here are my tools....

19a4411c344c88fcec892a2644230417.jpg

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, You say that you use your pin pointer to locate. Would this be the base detector pin point or your hand held? Like your tools.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, You say that you use your pin pointer to locate. Would this be the base detector pin point or your hand held? Like your tools.
Handheld.....

I use pin pointer to locate exact point above target, use probe to get exact depth, slit sod and recover target with 7/8" or 1 1/4" mini diggers I have, when done I pinch sod back together, no plug to die, no sign I was ever there.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same but my go to pin pointer (TRX) Will only reach about 6 inches depending on target size. Those targets I find that are deeper require a plug for me. The Nokta that I used only reached about 2 inches which also hindered my style of hunting and made me wish for TRX back. The probe thing I had (brass) managed to mark a couple of very good finds so I had to ditch that process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread