Overload talk...Heres what I do, Per Dileks post

Jack Flynn

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Overload talk...Here's what I do, Per Dilek's post

Dilek posted about the overload points and I've been using it since then. Yesterday just happened to walk into another old house lot and needed to drop the gain to reduce the amount of overloads. It's works perfectly in reducing them. Did this off the cuff then realized all the problems or dislikes people have about the overloading. It was captured. No finds just Racer sounds in trash. Lots of nails and small metal debri is here. Watch the coil movement and when it overloads I'll sweep right back over the same place just coil raised slightly and I get the report for what it is.
https://youtu.be/ve0B_yBaru8

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that drove me crazy to much chatter for me even after you said you straighten it out...

OP
OP
Jack Flynn

Jack Flynn

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that drove me crazy to much chatter for me even after you said you straighten it out...
That's not chatter that's metal in the ground.............. nails, more than you can imagine. Keep in mind I'm in the trashiest place you can hunt.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dilek posted about the overload points and I've been using it since then. Yesterday just happened to walk into another old house lot and needed to drop the gain to reduce the amount of overloads. It's works perfectly in reducing them. Did this off the cuff then realized all the problems or dislikes people have about the overloading. It was captured. No finds just Racer sounds in trash. Lots of nails and small metal debri is here. Watch the coil movement and when it overloads I'll sweep right back over the same place just coil raised slightly and I get the report for what it is.
https://youtu.be/ve0B_yBaru8
How did it do? Did you find anything with it?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one feature I like on the racer and nokta Fors is the overload. Time and again I've not been able to see the trash on the top being covered by a little bit of dirt but the detector telling me something is there but wont or can't say its on the surface. The nokta with the crazy laser gun overload tells me and I can move on. Just worked through a yard of hundreds of rifle casings using that feature

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, Minelab Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one feature I like on the racer and nokta Fors is the overload. Time and again I've not been able to see the trash on the top being covered by a little bit of dirt but the detector telling me something is there but wont or can't say its on the surface. The nokta with the crazy laser gun overload tells me and I can move on. Just worked through a yard of hundreds of rifle casings using that feature

I have a question.. when its overloading on small surface finds like that will it still pick up a good target or does the overload over power it? I would like to see a video of it in that situation. I am not talking large items causing it to overload, Ihave been reading it overloads on nails that are on the surface. I am very interested in buying one but that is what concern me about it...

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a racer on the way. I downloaded a pdf manual from makros website. It states to search with the coil 2 inches off the ground. Now I would pick it up and scan or just dig the over load out of the way. Either way I think its gonna be a awesome machine. Ill get mine saturday hopefully and ill post how it does first chance I can get out with it.

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a racer on the way. I downloaded a pdf manual from makros website. It states to search with the coil 2 inches off the ground. Now I would pick it up and scan or just dig the over load out of the way. Either way I think its gonna be a awesome machine. Ill get mine saturday hopefully and ill post how it does first chance I can get out with it.

I would like to hear your thoughts once you get it diggin. Alot of the sites I hunt are old torn down homesites and pretty trashy. There is no way I want to have to remove overload signal after signal so that the biggest concern I have...

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill let you know big boar. Ill try to post a video for you here. Not even a mile from my house is a house that got tore down a few weeks ago so ill run it there and let you see.

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill let you know big boar. Ill try to post a video for you here. Not even a mile from my house is a house that got tore down a few weeks ago so ill run it there and let you see.

thanks buddy. I appreciate it.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem like I said it should be here saturday. Its supposed to be rainy here but ill try plus I might bring home a piece of equipment to level off a spot for my pool. Im gonna try though, and thats if it makes it saturday.

OP
OP
Jack Flynn

Jack Flynn

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run my coils on the ground and if I get saturation I just raise the coil as I swing back past it. It becomes second nature easy. If it is in saturation it will not pick up anything next to the saturation causing object while in saturation If you raise the coil it will show you both.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question.. when its overloading on small surface finds like that will it still pick up a good target or does the overload over power it? I would like to see a video of it in that situation. I am not talking large items causing it to overload, Ihave been reading it overloads on nails that are on the surface. I am very interested in buying one but that is what concern me about it...

Big boar per your question the overload alarms while your on that target However...ive noticed some ppl scuffing the ground with the coil which is going to get you an automatic overload alarm. The manual states very plainly to keep the coil raised 2inches above the ground Why? Because this machine is so sensitive it doesn't need to scuff the ground, you can if you want if you want that extra 2" to go into the ground. I use the Nokta the brother to the racer but is the same..it default starts at 50% power everytime and does well at that level but here's something you should like. How many machines out there you know of that you can place a big crusty nail right on top of a coin and the machine actually show a vdi for both targets? Or even tell you there's a good target there as most will just show the nail.
The overload is for soda cans and nails etc on or just below the surface so you know its there. Its helped me avoid wasting my time in really trashy areas and the recovery speed of this machine is amazing. You can pick out good targets that you would be hard pressed to do with most other machines. I've used many machines over the years and this one is my favorite. Either the Nokta Fors gold or core machine or the racer..you cant go wrong

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the fors core and it takes a little learning.....couple times at first I was lost.....but then it sank in and its everything I wanted and some.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks buddy. I appreciate it.
I got my racer in today. Went around my yard which has been hunted out with a teknetics gamma 6000 garrett at pro minelab safari teknitics t2 se and now hit it with the racer. I found 4 pennies oldest was 1966 ive found wheaties in my yard and a buddy of mine found a silver war nickel a while back. One penny was mixed in with a small nail but it hit it no problem. The overload wasnt an issue it sounded off a couple times I picked it up til it stopped and rescanned and all was good. It overloaded on large pieces on the surface. Man the build quality is pretty amazing. I had trouble getting coil cover on so I left it off for now. Over all im really happy with it so far. As with anything though time will tell. I will report back when I get more time in with it.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my racer in today. Went around my yard which has been hunted out with a teknetics gamma 6000 garrett at pro minelab safari teknitics t2 se and now hit it with the racer. I found 4 pennies oldest was 1966 ive found wheaties in my yard and a buddy of mine found a silver war nickel a while back. One penny was mixed in with a small nail but it hit it no problem. The overload wasnt an issue it sounded off a couple times I picked it up til it stopped and rescanned and all was good. It overloaded on large pieces on the surface. Man the build quality is pretty amazing. I had trouble getting coil cover on so I left it off for now. Over all im really happy with it so far. As with anything though time will tell. I will report back when I get more time in with it.

I think you will be pleased and realize that areas you thought were cleaned out will now show more stuff. I've done the same thing..area well hit with Garrett minelab fisher whites and then go back in with my Nokta fors gold and bam targets galore. Walked right behind my buddy last Saturday and he was using AT pro and I was getting target after target..found a pair of 2-300 year old candle wick trimmers at 15" deep and a stirrup at 20". Your makro being brother to my machine should do the same.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hasnt yet but I hope it does soon. Ive been using 3 tones and havent found anything over 5-6 inches yet but time will tell.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hasnt yet but I hope it does soon. Ive been using 3 tones and havent found anything over 5-6 inches yet but time will tell.

That's odd now either there just aren't any targets deeper or something is wrong. Try going to your two tone mode drop discrimination to 20 and check the same area and see if there are deeper targets

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always leave disc at 10 or what ever is pre set. I never run a high disc. On my at pro I just use pro zero. Sounds dont bother me. I had a few bottle caps trick me. I had regular copper pennies ring up as 83-84 and I had a wheatie ring up at 82 with the bottle caps. I figured it would have been higher. I still got some learning to do with it. I just cant get used to two tone cause I gotta watch the screen.because all the sounds sound the same above iron and sound different when on top of the ground or at depth. Its just hard to decipher the two tone mode sounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread